1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Timing, camshaft and crankshaft question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 PM
moparsrule60
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help !!!!!!! Timing, camshaft and crankshaft question.

Right now I am in the process of changing the water pump on my 1995 neon. All I have to do is remove the camshaft pulley but can't get the bolt loose. Saw on youtube where you can put a socket, extension and a ratchet on a rear cover bolt and this keeps the pulley from moving and using a ratchet and the pulley it should break free. But in order to do this I need to rotate the pulley so the ratchet used on the cover bolt will wedge against part of the pulley . Can I rotate the pulley around almost a full revolution without causing any damage, Right now the crankshaft and camshaft are about 1 notch each to the right of their marks on the cover and block. I did however mark this on the block , cover and cam sprocket and crankshaft. So far after removing the belt I have have not moved anything yet. Just read some where not to move the camshaft. So can I put the timing belt back on tighten it up and then move the crankshaft until the camshaft is in the right spot to use the ratchets to loosen camshaft sprocket bolt.Then after just loosening the bolt realign the timing marks then continue on to finish replacing the water pump. Also will the camshaft sprocket come off easily or will I need to use something to pull it off.

Last edited by moparsrule60; 03-03-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:32 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't turn a full rotation. Just in case you don't know, there are two rear cover bolts that you can put the socket in on, the top one and then there's one 180 degree's, its a little hard to find but its there, so just in case you didn't know. What I have done when I've removed the cam sprocket, everyone says not to move it CCW but if I just have to move it a little, I have moved it CCW to get to one of the bolts and then its worked fine.

Question though, are you replacing the cam seal? Its a good idea but you don't have to remove the rear timing cover to replace the water pump, just letting you know.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:42 AM
moparsrule60
Default More questions

The reason I need to take off the camshaft sprocket is to be able to remove the rear timing cover. So if I have most of the bolts off the rear cover it is possible to pull on it and remove the bolts on the water pump and then the water pump .

Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I so don't remember having to remove it... oh well anyways, with the cam gear, just rotate it EVER so slightly (CW or CCW) to get it to where you can fit the 8mm socket onto one of the two cover bolts inside the cam gear. and then try to loosen the cam gear. Believe it or not I have done about 5 or so of these and I've never damaged the head by rotating the gear just a little bit to get to one of those bolts.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM
moparsrule60
Smile

Thanks for the advice. Just about done finishing the job, had my better half stop by autozone and rent a tool so I can reinstall the crankshaft pulley . Other than finishing with the belts and adjusting their tension I will be done and be back on the road. Boy it sure will be nice to be saving gas money instead of driving our Suv, considering these crazy gas prices.

Quick Reply: Timing, camshaft and crankshaft question.