1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Electrical frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 PM
mattbroj01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical frustrations

Ok this is going to be a little long but I am currently having some electrical issues with my neon. It is a 1998 dodge neon sport DOHC 5spd. The other night I went to turn my headlights on and the headlight know and stick pulled right out of the switch assembly. I attempted to re-insert it with no luck. All of a sudden I hear something rattling around inside the switch and the ground wire starts heating up red hot and melting the plastic coating off of it. I cut the ground wire to keep the car from starting on fire and aquired another headlight switch. I reinstalled the headlight switch and ran a new ground closer to the switch. After I completed this project I started getting a door ajar light and my dome light stayed on. I proceeded to check the door switches with a good switch I bought and none seemed defective (and the good switch would not shut the door ajar light or dome light off in any door position). Frustrated I removed the dome light bulb and decided I would get to that project later. Later the same day on my way to work my door ajar light is miraculously off and the dome light is as well, however, now the dome light will not come on even with the switch (yes i reinstalled the bulb) and my radio won't power up. It is an aftermarket pioneer that has been working great for the past 6 months so I know my wiring is solid. I've checked every fuse I can findd, including the one on the back of the head unit) and I cannot find any blown or damaged. Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, the radio and door ajar and dome light issues did not surface until a day or two after the ground wire melted itself so I'm not 100% sure those issues are related but I figured I'd give the whole back story.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:26 PM
me696979
Rookie

Did you check the wiring in your dash and make sure there are none melted together?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:35 PM
mattbroj01

Well that will be next on the list, however being that the problem issues didnt arise for a couple of days after that I was skeptical that it would be melted wires. I would have figured that would have happened the day the headlight ground melted.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:13 PM
mattbroj01

ok, checked under the dash and a whole cluster of wires are melted together and shorting out to one another....anyone know if I can just buy the entire interior harness as one complete unit?

Old 05-26-2012, 03:17 PM
me696979
Rookie

When I had that problem I separated the melted wires the ones that wasn't real bad I taped up the others I would just replace sections in the wires that was really bad.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:29 PM
mattbroj01

I wish it were that simple....literally the affected wires (about 9-12) run the entire length of the dash . I've already taken apart the dash and have the harness almost completely out....now to do the same thing to the scrap heap in the local junkyard.....hopefully i can get a halfway descent harness out.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 PM
me696979
Rookie

Hope you get it goin the ones I had that was burnt went all the way from the switches to inside the dash it took me hours to fix

Quick Reply: Electrical frustrations