1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

which lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 AM
ohioguru
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which lowering springs?

hi i was tossin around the idea between a megan lowering spring and a sprint spring. which is better? i like the megan bc its 1.6 drop and has a lower spring rate so wont be as rough. any one used either? or are there more options?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I usually roll eibach in my cars. My roads around here are crap, to bouncy with others I have tried. Eibach gave me the nice ride and when it was time to spool the turbo the car would hold a nice stance and not butt drop. Have never tried either of the brands you mentioned. I like to match them with a set of adjustable struts. I had konis in my 1st gen and tokico's in my srt-4.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 AM
4doorneon
Rookie

I just installed a set of KYB GR-2 struts and Megan Racing springs on my 95 and I like them. The ride quality is smooth but for some reason it does not look much lower than stock. My reason might be because I upgraded to a 16" rim at the same time installing the struts and springs.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 PM
ohioguru
Veteran

due to their low spring rates and not much of a drop i was going to throw these on some oem replacment shocks. would i have issues? still running a 14in tire thats a lil over sized

Old 07-13-2012, 08:15 AM
4doorneon
Rookie

You can put lowerings springs on OEM parts but I would advise you to just purchase aftermarkets ones that are meant for lower springs. I do not think you will have any issues with clearance for anything. My problem is I have meaty tires on my 16"s and make the car sit like a truck.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:41 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

KYB's are oem replacements. You will receive a factory ride with them. Good OEM struts are the same as kybs. Konis are the way to go. As long as the struts are good you will not bounce like your in a bounce house. Having bigger rims wont make the car sit higher unless you got to big of tires for the car/rim ratio. More tire=more of a floaty ride not bottoming out. Less tire= you feel every bump, and sometimes fly out of your seat. Change air pressure will change hwo the car rides also. I had 17" tires on my car, compared side by side with the stock 15's they were the same diameter, just less tire and more rim.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:37 PM
4doorneon
Rookie

Ok see I thought the KYB's were more suited for lowering springs. I did not know they were OEM modeled. I enjoy the ride quality I have out of mine but I do have balloon styled tires on my rims. The fronts are a 50 series and the rears are 55, they barely fit in the rear but I had to settle with those temporarily until I get brand new tires.

Quick Reply: which lowering springs?