1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

recharging a/c

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 05:00 PM
97neonsport
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recharging a/c

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, so take it easy on me. My air conditioning just blows warm air and I am finally getting sick of it. I would guess that there is no refrigerant in it. If that is the case, what do I need to do to get it working. I have a '97 that is completely stock if that matters. How much and what kind of refrigerant is needed? Any thoughts/ideas? I would like to do it myself to save a little $$.

Thanks

Old 08-23-2005, 08:25 AM
catman22
Professional
Default RE: recharging a/c

under you hood it will tell what kind of refrigerant, most likely r 134A, you can get as recharge/retrofit kit at walmart in maine for $34, but you will need to have the system evacuated/ vacuumed out before you refill it. but are you shure the ac pump is turning on?

Old 08-23-2005, 11:48 AM
97neonsport

This may sound dumb, how do I make sure that the ac pump is working properly? Would it be neccessary to vacuum out if it is already completely dry? If the pump is working properly, I am guessing all I have to do it put new refrigerant in it and then make sure it doesn't leak and then hopefuly I will be good to go. Sound correct?

Old 08-23-2005, 12:56 PM
catman22
Professional

well you need to vacuum out the system because if there is air in the system it would mix eith the refrigerant and form some sort of acid and eventually eart throught the lines, or so i have been told. and your pump shold not turn on if there is no refrigerant inthe system. pressure switch will not let the pump start. so with the motor off you should be able to turn the center of the ac pump/ compressor. if it turns it should be ok, if it dosent turn it is probibly seized. but you should not be having any problems like a seized compressor

Quick Reply: recharging a/c