1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Instrument Cluster fine, but still not working.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Philjamin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Instrument Cluster fine, but still not working.

Following the numerous instructions, I re-soldered the 20 points on the circuit board on my wife's 1997 Neon. Used a voltmeter to check for continuity on each point. Reinstalled it, still same issues: Fuel gauge, Engine Temp gauge, and Speedometer dead. Also, 'Headlights-On' chime, and 'Ignition-Key-In' chime not chiming. This does not have a tachometer.

Using the Multiple Gauge Inoperative Test from the Electronic Neon Service Manual, Pins J1-5 (ignition voltage) and J16 (battery voltage) tested hot using a single wire Test-Light. Pin J1-8 (ground) showed no result for continuity with neither the test light nor the voltmeter in both the Run/Start and with the Ignition Key out/off. I tested the prongs on the front of the Terminal end and also the wire coming in from the back of the Terminal box but got nothing. Is there a certain way to test for Ground on Pin J1-8? The voltmeter worked fine for the other two pins tested by pricking the wires at the rear of the Terminal box. Just checking cause I'm at the end of my wits.

I have been following the 1999 Electronic Neon Service Manual, and it states that if there is, "no ground, repair as necessary". How do I do that? Anyone have any ideas or experience with this issue? That cluster of wires running from the black Terminal box looks quite intimidating! Need someone else wits to solve this.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

"I have been following the 1999 Electronic Neon Service Manual, and it states that if there is, "no ground, repair as necessary""

My guess it means to fix the ground.

I cheeked the wiring diagram for it. Check fuse 11 (5Amp) in fuse box for power while key is on, check the fuse itself also. Do the same for Fuse 13 (10a) which is located in the PDC. Fuse 13 should have power all the time.

If those both test fine, both fuses are good. Next step I would do:

Check the Pink wire behind cluster, it should be always Hot.
Check the Dark Blue/White wire behind the cluster, this should be hot with key on.

Check in after this I can give you the next few steps.

Last edited by I_Ride_Neon; 08-20-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Philjamin

Everything checked out fine following your instructions. Ready for next steps. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:27 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

When you turn the key to on, do you see any dash lights IE: Check engine? Check Black/Orange wires for ground behind the cluster. Usually if you have power and ground at the locations I mention it can be a faulty cluster, PCM, or switch in the circuit. Are they any other symptoms you are having along with the cluster gauges?

Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Philjamin

My apologies: New job, while training for a new career...blah, blah, blah. Really appreciate your knowledge.
To answer your questions, all my dash-board lights work. And no, as I stated on this first post "Pin J1-8 (ground) showed no result for continuity with neither the test light nor the voltmeter in both the Run/Start and with the Ignition Key out/off. I tested the prongs on the front of the Terminal end and also the wire coming in from the back of the Terminal box but got nothing,": Which is the black/orange wire. So now that we are clear on that, what do you suggest?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:32 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Give it some ground and see if the gauges come alive.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster fine, but still not working.