1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

2.0 to 2.4 Differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Karmageddon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0 to 2.4 Differences

I am trying to find out how to tell the difference between a 2.0 and a 2.4 engines for Neons. I want the easy visible differences with out having to tear it down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Default Night and day

They are structurally different in every way. The crank, rods, pistons, oil pan, oil pick up,oil pump, and the actual engine block are different snd are not compatible between the 2.0 and 2.4.

what made you ask this question?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Karmageddon

Well I'm a Tech Official at a local track and in our four cylinder class we have a Neon running. He recently changed from a SOHC to a DOHC engine and I want to be sure he is still using a 2.0 and not a 2.4. Because he is saying it is a 2.0 for weight purposes because the weight is figured per cc.

Like I said though I am looking for differences in the engines that can be quickly identified without tearing it down and checking the bore and stroke.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Karmageddon
Well I'm a Tech Official at a local track and in our four cylinder class we have a Neon running. He recently changed from a SOHC to a DOHC engine and I want to be sure he is still using a 2.0 and not a 2.4. Because he is saying it is a 2.0 for weight purposes because the weight is figured per cc.

Like I said though I am looking for differences in the engines that can be quickly identified without tearing it down and checking the bore and stroke.
Modification to the passenger motor mount would show it, either a custom mount or aftermarket mount. I think the block height is taller also. Those would be the 2 easiest ways.

Quick Reply: 2.0 to 2.4 Differences