1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

swapping a sohc head to a 2.4 head

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:08 PM
freak98neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapping a sohc head to a 2.4 head

what all do I need to do this swap and is it worth my time to gain any power and for future boost

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-20-2012, 06:15 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

The 2.4 head is the same as the 2.0 dohc head for starters. Even though it drops the compression using sohc pistons with a dohc head it wont allow for more power, the motor still wont hold more then 250whp. It just makes it a little safer for it. I would just put a whole 2.4 in with srt-4 internals and boost that.

But for info on swapping the head just look up sohc to dohc swap. You will need the ecu, head gasket, timing belt kit, manifolds, valve cover, and of course the full dohc head with sensors on it. I think the sohc harness works, may need to extend some wires.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:38 PM
freak98neon

thanks for the info. I'm trying to deside to either build a nasty single or do a swap in it. I would love to do the 2.4 swap but not sure how much of a pain it is being this is my dailey driver

Old 10-21-2012, 11:14 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I think putting a motor in should take less time then swapping it to a dohc. Mods for mods the dohc will always come out on top.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:09 PM
freak98neon

what dohc is better. 2.0 or 2.4. I've already done the throttle body off a dohc automatic and a real cold air intake. even did a muffler change to get ot less restricted

Old 10-21-2012, 11:26 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

2.0 can rev a little higher. But there is no replacement for displacement so 2.4 will always come out on top. Plus if you use the 2.4 you can use the stock srt-4 internals which will make a strong motor on a tight budget. You can always just boost the sohc. If you dont plan to build any of the motors then it doesn't matter which one you pick. They all hold the same amount of power stock. 2.4 will just make it there on less boost over the 2.0. Dohc will make it there on less boost then a sohc. I would do some more research and maybe set up some future goals, this may help decide the motor.

Quick Reply: swapping a sohc head to a 2.4 head