1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

engine stutters at low idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 09:26 PM
pythonbunny
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine stutters at low idle

i have a 1998 neon rt gave it to my brother six months ago now the engine stutters at low idle, put new pulgs and wires in it no help, checked for codes and there was none. the car has 70,000 miles it should run fine. any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 09-04-2005, 01:16 AM
ewetho
All Star
Default RE: engine stutters at low idle

Would check throttle body for carbon build up. Clean gently but would start there. Also try a good bottle of injector cleaner such as Mopar top end cleaner or Reline Oil's SL-1 Fuel injector cleaner. Probably there. If automatic could be signs of a trans problem as well but start with basics such as first two.

Old 09-04-2005, 05:13 AM
casper
Legend

I agree, start with the basics, air filter, injector cleaner. It could be one of a million things, but start simple. check fuel presure, look at the spark plugs, could be a bad injector.

Old 09-05-2005, 12:04 AM
pythonbunny
Professional

hi again, the car is a manual and i put cleaner in it and not any better. how do i check for a bad injector, i had the mopar per. computer in it but took it out and it didnt help. im out of ideas, could it be a gas filter and where is it so i can change it thanks again!

Old 09-06-2005, 09:49 PM
ewetho
All Star

Gas filter is in the tank.

Also check the injector inlet filter screens. Friend at school got advice from a techer (Auto tech school) that they look ok but actually varnish up. Only about a 25 Cents each so not expensive but it cured his idle issue. May try that. He got them at NAPA.

A thought and at least not very expensive. What's a buck or so.

I just got back from going to Florida and back here to Chicagoland and have just started getting that issue. Started when I got down there after spending 16.5 hours at about 70-80 Miles per hour. So might be doing mine soon. Will update with my results in a week or so. Probably looking at Saturday for Mr. FixIt time here.

But his varnished up about 25000 miles. Mine is near there and starting to act up just a bit. Just not as smooth as before.

Will try checking the plugs and the fuel injector screen issue.

Quick Reply: engine stutters at low idle