1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1998 neon highline sohc electrical problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 AM
northwinds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 neon highline sohc electrical problem...

Hello, I am new to the forum and I have been searching for an answer to my problem from all the previous posts, but I have not found the same problem....

I bought my daughter a 1998 Neon highline, with the SOHC, it has worked fine for the past week or so after I got it back from a mechanic who replaced the head on it, but a couple days ago she came home, parked it, and went out awhile later and it would not start.... I mean all the accessories, lights, and radio came on but when you went to turn the key, just got one click.

I did some checking and made sure all the wiring was tight, all grounds were tight, then when I went to hook up the battery again, I got an arc and burnt the wiring down by the starter!

I replaced both pos and neg battery cables, plus the positive one coming off the starter going up into the harness. Went to hook up the battery again, and the same thing happened!! I am stumped, anyone had a similar experience??

Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the alternator feed wire is hooked up to the +. The black/grey wire goes to positive on the starter post with the main battery feed. The negative starter cable from the battery hooks to the bell bolt near the starter. Make sure the PDC (power distribution center) is not leaning on something where the + cable hooks up. Make sure your hook the positive to the right stud on the solenoid. The wires will not burn up unless you have a huge short from the main feed. By the time your done it may need a new fusible link so keep that in mind if it does not charge or start.

Quick Reply: 1998 neon highline sohc electrical problem...