1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

stock flywheel weight in a 99 neon sport?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 AM
Kyle Richard
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock flywheel weight in a 99 neon sport?

What is the weight of the stock flywheel in a 99 neon sport?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Not sure of the stock weight but I would guess around 10-15lbs. If it has the modular clutch there is a flexplate and a flywheel. Were you considering getting a lightweight flywheel?

Old 02-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Kyle Richard
Amateur

Doesn't that seem a little light though? I got a reply on another post saying 11.3Ibs that too sounds way lite... Idk maybe im skeptical cuz my friends suby's weighs 28 Ibs just the fly wheel.

Yah probably because the throttle response in my car is complete crap so a light weight would I suspect be awesome!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I would say on a high side 15-20 pounds. I pull clutches a few times a week, usually the car ones are pretty light. For the amount of work it takes to put the flywheel on, I would invest your time and money into something that will actually make a noticeable difference.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:19 AM
Kyle Richard
Amateur

so are you saying that a light weight flywheel doesn't make a noticeable difference? What would you suggest for throttle response then?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I have installed lots of them and think they are a waste of time. Plus I dont like the idea of using different material considering how dangerous it is to explode a flywheel and clutch. Bigger throttle body, intake manifold, header/exhaust, EGR block off, camshaft/head porting, tuned computer, maybe a little weight reduction. Those are the things I go for.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Kyle Richard
Amateur

gotcha ill keep that in mind. I already have header, planning on cams and gears (already have them just not in yet). I was reading for the EGR delete that you have to run relays or something to egr sensor or something like that... is that true? Also how helpful is it? Does it effect gas mileage? Also have plans to do a automatic jeep throttle body cuz its like 60mm I read.

sorry for all the questions

Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

When you block off the egr and block off all the vacuum lines/nipples it will throw a CEL, you can get rid of the CEL by using a resistor. It wont effect gas mpg as far as I know. It helpful to the throttle body and head so they dont get gummed up with exhaust residue, and reduces the amount of hot air in the intake. jeep TB is the way to go, but I think the hold on the manifold is only like 56mm or something I cant remember. Cam gears are useless unless you have the car dyno tuned. Is the car a dohc or sohc?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Kyle Richard
Amateur

Oh i see, what kinda resistor or how many amps? I have cam gears and would like to use them with my cams anyways so maybe ill do some research. The car is a DOHC with a header and 2.5" exhaust MSD ignition. I supposedly have a AF/X race computer i got off ebay for $200... im putting comp cams in my car as well

Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

If you have the AFX ecu it shouldn't throw a code for EGR, I am not sure on the resistor. Cam gears are nice to have if you have a dyno and a tuner, otherwise you may lose power.

Quick Reply: stock flywheel weight in a 99 neon sport?