1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

what is code 42

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 08:22 PM
aric
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is code 42

hi, i did a search but came up dry i have a 1996 dodge neon and its running poorly. the code i am getting from the car is a 42, which i have found is "Fuel pump relay control ckt, Auto shutdown relay control ckt, No ASD relay output voltage at PCM, Fuel level sending unit volts out of range". thats fantastic and all, but i have no idea what this means or what can be done to repair/resolve it. help!

Old 10-03-2005, 12:59 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is code 42

Might want to be a little more specific on "running poorly"...

If the ASD relay wasn't working , the car wouldn't run. If the PCM wasn't getting the ASD signal, ditto. That leaves the fuel pump relay and the fuel level circuitry.

First, if you have an Autozone or some other place that will pull the 4-digit codes for free, stop in and do it. That'll narrow things down a lot. In the meantime, try swapping the horn relay with the fuel pump relay (black box behind the battery). If the problem goes away, you've fixed it, just need to replace the bad relay so your horn is reliable... If the problem doesn't go away, that leaves the fuel level circuitry... could be shorted wiring, bad sender (inside the tank), etc.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: what is code 42