1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Big water pump leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Vegas Mike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big water pump leak

OK, there is a small river that appears under the water pump with the radiator full. Doesn't matter if the engine's running or not. I replaced the plastic pipe that is in the back of the pump with the two hoses on it maybe a year ago. It sits under the intake manifold. What's the chance that an o-ring on that pipe could be the problem? As you'd expect, I *really* don't want to pull the pump. 95 Neon SOHC Thanks, Mike

Last edited by Vegas Mike; 11-18-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:39 PM
sbhawaiian
Professional

I have a feeling you will need to pull the water pump. Beats having the pump going bad and seizing on you. That means it will snap the timing belt if that happens. I know what you mean about not wanting to do it. I did the engine mount only and it totally kicked my butt getting to the bolts while raising and lowering the engine.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Vegas Mike

I tried to pull the water pump but the harmonic balancer (HB) would not come off the crankshaft. The bolt into the crank had about a 1/2" of threads damaged, there were two washers on that bolt that did not fit the bolt (holes were much too large), and the HB had hammer marks on the face of the hub. I think the last idiot hammered it back onto the crank. Even with a big gear puller, it would not come off. I had the HB under *lots* of tension with the gear puller and tried banging on the HB. Wouldn't move. The only other "assistance" I can think of is putting it under tension and hitting it with an oxy/acetylene torch.

Suggestions??

Old 11-27-2013, 12:17 PM
sbhawaiian
Professional

OMG, Be careful with the oil seal if you do that. I bought my 2000 with 144K and found so much stuff jerry rigged or still with the original parts. What amazes me is how this beater is still going strong with 178K. The last owner did not have the right tools and tried some lame half *** shortcut. Since you have a 95 I'm sure you don't want to put a lot or time and money fixing it. Good luck, I hope you get the HB off.

Quick Reply: Big water pump leak