1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

How to beat a 6 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 02:53 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to beat a 6 Mustang

Hey peeps im back. A while back I beat a stock 3.8 Mustang with my stock 5-Speed Highline and Ive never been able to repeat that success. Now granted the car hadnt had an oil change in a year, and was wrecked like 4 times to the side, however Id like to be able to beat another one. My friend has a 96 v6 stang in great condition and right now my goal is to smoke him. What kind of aftermarket mods should I get. I mean the best brands for neon and the best sites to buy them from. Thanks, Matt.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker
Default RE: How to beat a 6 Mustang

lol, you probably had some luck in the fact they couldnt shift very well or just couldnt drive. Either way its a kill .

Look around out there, a good way to get up on him right now would be some basic simple mods such as:

Intake, Exhaust, PCM, and maybe some motor mounts if your up for it. that would bump you up a couple notches on your HP list, and give you some added acceleration in the process. he still will have a good advantage on you with a bigger engine and more HP to dish out for a good while unless you want to go with a turbo kit or something like that.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:11 PM
casper
Legend

LOL, a V6 rustang, try running!!!!!!!!! I have beat a few V6 rustangs in my neon, not by much, but I never lost to one. If you learn you car and when and how to shift you will not have a problem. A CAI, exhuast, motor mounts, all will help.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:00 AM
ninety5sport

SOHC or DOHC? Either way, you've got the power:weight ratio in your favor... if you've got the twin cam, you might even have more horsepower stock than he does (the v6's in the 94-04 run as low as 145, up to... 195, I think). The only advantage a v6 would have over a fourbanger is that they'd ordinarily be pushing more horsepower - if they both push about the same, the inline's gonna do it more efficiently.

Light, if any, modifications'll put you ahead... I've never raced one myself (odd, considering how many people around here have them), but I've driven a couple... I personally prefer driving the Neon over the 'stang... They're not terrible cars, I just hate the "I CAN RACE ANYBODY CUZ I HAVE A MUSTANG!11!!!!" attitude... so, stick it to 'em.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:38 AM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

Ok, stock, with SOHC, maual, could i beat the six banger

Old 10-28-2005, 04:23 AM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: highline95jl

Ok, stock, with SOHC, maual, could i beat the six banger
been there done that, can't count the times, lol

Old 10-29-2005, 08:38 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Autocross. Those poor things should be in HS with the Festiva, and I'd still put my money on the Festiva... As it is, they're in GS with the Neon and get their asses handed to them no problem.

Mustangs have always been designed for straightline performance (notable exceptions like the SVT, Cobra R, Saleen), and the V6's just get a smaller engine. Any 5-speed Neon with the basics bolt-on's should have no trouble keeping up with any year stock Mustang V6. We're talking actual racing here (timeslips), not wannabe stoplight crap. The 6 has more torque and will always beat the Neon off the line...

Quick Reply: How to beat a 6 Mustang