1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

died on freeway 98 neon sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:24 PM
chipabimm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default died on freeway 98 neon sport

I have a 98 neon sport. I just got it a week or two ago. The previous owners put a 2.4 dual over head cam fron a 98 stratus i believe in it. But left the 2.0 dual conputer and cams in. I was on the freeway then i lost the gas. But reved up when i down shifted. Im thinking its not sparking as i tried to get it jump started but just in case im going to try my bimmers battery. But my dad thinks alternator. But i think theres no spark. The check engine light doesnt turn on but the oil pressure light been on even though its full of oil. Any ideas?

Old 07-24-2015, 12:46 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Check he voltage of the battery while running (should be 13.2v - 14.3ish) which lets up know the alt is good. Check the engine harness down th backside of the block. Make sure it is secure and not near the rear axle. Also make sure the battery terminals are secure and cannotbe move by hand.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:03 AM
chipabimm

I don't have it now. But it's still boggling. The terminals were tight. But it's weird it just died while I was driving. I don't think I paid much attention to the wiring harness. When it died. It wouldn't start back up. So I thought maybe the cams or something got messed up. Since t he rpms only let it go to 4k. Sometimes when the oil pressure light wasnt on it let it go to 6k rpms it didn't start on the jump or my bimmer battery. It was weird. I couldnt let it sit. Cause we get cops on our street all the time driving past.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:06 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Sounds like you need to take a look at your engine harness. Visual inspection is the first step in diagnosing a problem. Make sure the rear of the harness is ok. If not properly secured, the harness can hit the axle which can rip through the wires. Take a look. Take pics if you have to.

Question. Can you hear the fuel pump prime at key-on? Should hear a loud buzz sound before starting the car.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 PM
ClaytonH
Rookie

Maybe crankshaft position sensor?

Old 08-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Jason Hartwick

I bet the oil pressure sensor is pushing oil into the engine harness and popping the fuel pump fuse

Quick Reply: died on freeway 98 neon sport