1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Oil pump leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:24 PM
bill9795
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump leaking?

I have a 95 Neon SOHC which developed a significant oil leak. I checked it with it jacked up and running and found below about 1500rpm it didn't appear to leak. Above 2000 rpm it dripped constantly (every 1-2 seconds) out of the bottom of the timing cover. No leak at idle, rev above 2000 immediately starts dripping, slow to idle immediately stops. I recently redid the head so the cam seal is new.
I pulled off the timing belt and cam gear and it didn't look like the cam seal was leaking. So I now have the oil pump off. (Along with all the other parts that needed to come off to get the pump off.) Nothing obvious wrong with it. I use the 95 factory service manual for reference.
My thinking it that with as fast as the leak is, and how much it is affected by engine speed it is likely from a pressurized source. With how quickly it appeared and stopped based on engine speed it is unlikely to be from the cam seal despite coming from the bottom edge of the timing cover.
I expect to at least replace all the seals / gaskets in the oil pump, including the crank seal. My concern is whether the oil pump itself is bad and allowing too much pressure on the crank seal in which case I should replace the oil pump, which is kind of expensive. (On the other hand, I'd rather spend the money than have to tear it down again.)
Any comments or has anyone had a similar problem?
Thanks, Bill

Old 11-08-2015, 12:55 AM
bill9795

I think I see what the problem is - the crank seal in the oil pump is hard - not flexible like it should be. I noted that I recently redid the head - this is my son's car and it had blown the head gasket because it ran low on water and overheated. I'm thinking the overheating may have damaged the crank seal.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:18 PM
ClaytonH
Rookie

Neon's are pretty robust... I have overheated mine a few times. No blown, cracked or warped head or gasket. Have had the camshaft pop out on the timing belt side. -30*f that day... boy that was a surprise when the old light came on.

The crank/cam seal can become hardened over time. A 20 year old seal is no exception. The mechanic or you should have replaced the cam and crank seals while doing the head gasket. Should have... but I didn't either... You bet your butt I did when the cam seal pooped. May as well since you have to pull the harmonic balance off and do the timing.

Quick Reply: Oil pump leaking?