1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Front end Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 03:11 PM
chocolatelovers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Front end Vibration

I have 1999 Dodge Neon R/T. It recently developed a front end vibration that starts around 50mph while accelerating but disappears when the throttle is released. I have new custom 16" rims and tires professionally mounted about 6 months ago.

This is what has been done so far to try to diagnose/fix the problem:

Tires/wheels rotated: did not change/fix vibration

Checked tie rods: both sides are fine and show no play/movement.

Both front struts were leaking and entire strut assemblies were replace: did not change/fix vibration.

Engine and transmission mounts were checked and found that transmission mount was torn. All other mounts were fine. Changed out all mounts. This greatly reduced vibration but did not remove it completely.

It was suggested I take the vehicle back to the dealer where I purchased the rims and tires to have them rebalanced to see if this fixes the last of the vibration. I have not done this yet.

Have I missed anything or does anybody have any other suggestions/ideas what could be causing the vibration??

Thanks
Jeff

Old 10-23-2016, 07:10 PM
sabin420
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was a tire/wheel problem, I would believe the vibration would be their all the time and not just during acceleration. Also, you rotated the tires. The vibration would have followed the tire that was out of balance.

Suggested culprits to inspect:

Harmonic Balancer (Crank Pulley)
Wheel Bearings
Control Arm Bushings
CV Axels
Loose/damaged wheel stud
Flex Plate (automatic transmission)
Bobble Strut Mount (Rear Transmission Mount)