1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

oil on plug tubes??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:16 PM
unonad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil on plug tubes??

I am new here and I also did a search on this and never found a definitive answer.
I`m finding small amounts of oil on\in around my 97` plug tubes, runs great, no smoke and the wife has only put a little over 50k since we bought the car new.Is this normal??? no leaks either, oh and my paint finally started peeling off, what gives with that?? I`ve noticed alot of Neons with the same prob. thanks

Old 11-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Charles Leto
Default RE: oil on plug tubes??

i dont know about the paint but i can give u a very good answer on the oil

Since there is oil in the tubes and around the plugs, i suggest replacing the gaskets around the tubes in the valve cover. I think you will need an entire valve cover gasket kit, it should include a new vlave cover gasket and the spark plug tube gaskets. to get to the gaskets you have to remove the valve cover and they are on the inside, shouldn't be to difficult of a job, maybe 30 mins to 1 hr at the most.

good luck

Old 11-15-2005, 03:44 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Peeling paint on all Lapis Blue cars is normal, despite Daimler-Chrysler's adamant claims otherwise (I was told that I must have used TSP to wash my car, that was the "only possible explanation"...). The early Arctic White and a handful of cars in some of the other colors had the same problems. From unofficial inside reports, it stems from the use of a more EPA friendly primer combined with improper cure times. The hood and front fenders got an additional clear protective coat and those areas are usually the last to peel.

Charles hit it on the head with the gaskets...

Best of luck!

Old 11-16-2005, 08:46 PM
unonad

Thanks guys.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:18 PM
cam67

I have a 97 plymouth neon and its dark green and the clear coat is coming of on the fenders. The rest of the car is good ??? it must be that extra clear coat that they put on, didnt bake right or something.

Quick Reply: oil on plug tubes??