1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

squeeking noise when i shift gears

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 02:39 AM
sicophiliac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeeking noise when i shift gears

Ok let me say first that this is the first car ive really driven with a manual tranny so my driving skill leaves much to be desired to say the least. However heres what going on and is it reason for concern? When i shift gears and disengage the clutch.. put the car into a higher gear and engage the clutch again it makes a squeeking sound sort of like a belt. This seems to happen the worst when I (due to not being that skilled of a driver) shift rather slowly and let the engine RPM drop to almost idle in between gears then engaging. Also it makes the noise when the car is kind of lugged out in say 4th@2000 rpms and I hit the gas rather hard. When its in a more favorable gear/rpm.. say second@3500 rpms and I hit the gas it doesnt seem to squeek, but rather picks up speed as expected. Also if I rev the motor up to the rpm it would be at after I engage the gear say second to third and the car should cruize at 2500 in third it doesnt really make the noise. If it let the rpm drop too far while the clutch is out and then engage it is when the problem is most noticable. I was told it might just be the belt slipping on the tensioner pulley because there is kind of a jolt on the motor rpm and the belt has to catch up. Any input from anybody else with a similar problem? Thanks.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:12 PM
whyte69
Veteran
Default RE: squeeking noise when i shift gears

you definitely shouldn't be letting the car hit idle when you decide to shift into a higher gear. You can rip on the car pretty good, though I wouldn't recommend it. Don't be so afraid to damage your car, it was meant for speed. If you have your car's owner's manual, please read it, it will tell you the recommended RPM's to shift at. If you're in a situation where you don't have a tachometer, then drive with the stereo off for a few days and learn what your engine sounds like at different speeds. You'll learn to recognize when it's time to shift. I'm new to the manual transmission, but I was able drive pretty well by the end of a single day, and well practiced by the end of the week. I don't have my owner's manual with me, otherwise I'd tell you. I'll post when I get my hands on it...

Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 PM
cam67

it sounds like a throwout bearing is going. my truck made that sound and i just replace the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing cuz when you go that far to change a throwout bearing i would change the clutch too if it close of be done.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:16 AM
sicophiliac

Yeah well if it does turn out to be a throwout bearing ill probably upgrade to a better then stock clutch and maybe a lightweight flywheel while im at it. If im gonna pay for somebody to pull the tranny might as well upgrade a few things while im at it. Is this a problem that needs immediate attention or can I drive it for a few months at least with the bearing going out? Now that my driving skills getting a bit better I dont notice the problem as much since I shift a bit faster but its still there.

Quick Reply: squeeking noise when i shift gears