1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Thinking about getting a neon, any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 12:59 AM
whyte69
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about getting a neon, any thoughts?

ORIGINAL: IHATEWIFESNEON

so your trying to tell me a sohc neon beat a cougar with all those upgrades. im sorry bro i can't even start to believe that when my 97 dohc neon gets dusted by my 86 F-150 4x4 with lift and 35s and stock fuel injected 302! i know you guys like your neons but come on even you other guys on here cant believe this guy. and by the way of all the neons i have seen in the many junkyards ive been to i have seen maybe 3 that had more than 140,000 miles. im not trying to start a war here but from what ive seen the neon is a cheap car that doesnt last long and if you can keep them limping along it costs a fortune! 140.000 miles isnt very many when you think about it my truck has 158,000 and its barely broken in. another thing they are one of the top 5 deadliest cars think about that when you get behing the wheel i know i did thats why this winter i went back to the truck.
If you don't like your Neon, why are you here? I like my Neon. I've got 186,000 kilometers on my Neon and its still going strong. I'm willing to put work into it as needed and am looking to upgrade. I've raced the odd pickup or two and beat the pants off of them. Something about pickup owners that don't understand that they weigh twice as much as I do.

Yes, the Neon is a "cheap" car, but with a bit of work and care they can be great cars. Maybe you should read your owners manual and you'll find out that you actually need to maintain the thing. If you don't want to spend any time on the car, then get a Ford (read: Fix Or Repair Daily) and tell me how long it lasts you.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:05 PM
dazzellers_95
Professional

OWNED!!! hahahaha.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:15 PM
IHATEWIFESNEON

maybe im having so many problems cause its a dohc. i dont see any of them around here and i see alot of neons. all the neons ive seen in the junkyards have been sohc. is there anyone on here that has a problematic dohc like mine?

Old 12-13-2005, 11:44 PM
casper
Legend

There are a lot more SOHC motors out there than DOHC. Most were made with SOHC and the DOHC was scrapped for the 2nd gen

Old 12-19-2005, 01:02 AM
IHATEWIFESNEON

you guys say that parts are cheap and yes you are right, if you have a sohc!!! now i know why my parts are so much and hard to find in junkyards thanks casper. maybe i should trade my dohc for a sohc what do you think?

Old 12-19-2005, 01:33 AM
whyte69
Veteran

if your DOHC is giving you enough trouble, then yes, definitely make the switch. The parts are much more abundant, and therefore cheaper. I hope the new one goes better for you.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a neon, any thoughts?