1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 sohc battery temperature sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:50 PM
aiminglow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 sohc battery temperature sensor

Wife's step father gave her his old 98 neon. Battery light is on, code is P1492, battery temp. sensor voltage too high. I'm having a hard time finding the sensor, as he seemed to have done some work under the hood, and might have been a bit sloppy lol. Can anybody supply a picture of what it looks like/its location so I can have some sort of baseline? We're in NJ, and can't pass inspection with a CEL. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 PM
fca tech
Amateur

it should be located on the front of the battery tray hope this picture helps you out

Attached Thumbnails 98 sohc battery temperature sensor-8010709f-1-.gif  
Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 AM
aiminglow

that helped me find it, thanks so much. there were other pictures that stated they were for the exact same model, but were no where near similar. so, i pulled the battery tray, and this is the issue... he actually cut the wire coming from the harness to the pigtail, and really close so this is gonna be a pain to fix unless anyone has a trick, even if its bypassing the bts for now so i can get a valid inspection sticker.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:37 PM
fca tech
Amateur

the only fix I see is to replace the connector they are stii available thru a Chrysler dealer the part number I come up with is 05014002AA just take the old one in with you to match up to the new in case I'm wrong on the number. the new connector will come with 2 wires of the same color you have to match there location from the original connector and splice the wires together so the wires line up at same location on connector as the old one let me know how you make out or if you have any other questions

Attached Thumbnails 98 sohc battery temperature sensor-kit-de-cable-2-vias-mopar-para-reparacion-de-cerradura-mopar-d_nq_np_471611-mlv20578951243_02201.jpg  

Last edited by fca tech; 01-12-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:53 PM
aiminglow

that's perfect, and i'll definitely be able to match everything up despite the small amount of wire i have, there's some color left. thanks again.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:35 PM
aiminglow

OK, got the new connector, wires spliced in their proper place (matched them up based on the old connector). The service engine light isn't turning off like it did the last time I had the battery out. I've tried keeping the battery out for 15 minutes, 20 minutes, removing fuel pump fuse, holding the terminal clamps together for 30 seconds, and the service engine soon light won't turn off. When I initially discovered this whole issue, the battery was out not much more time than I had it out today and the light cleared, but not now. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 98 sohc battery temperature sensor