Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Gary Howell
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: so i decided to...

ORIGINAL: casper

ORIGINAL: highrevr/tflea

Yeah....welll its custom no matter how you look at it when it comes to turbocharging....
Not really, both the hahns and chill bolt right on
Yea they come complete. I find 90% of the time that if you try to make a kit, you end up with more money in it, than if you just bought a Hahn kit.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:02 PM
dazzellers_95
Professional

ok, i know about the hahn and chill kits, but that is in the future, like '07. what i am doin is a "prep" without an engine rebuild for now. i will look at the pros n cons on each turbo kit, but right now, i want to upgrade the ignition, fuel, and air. i seen a crane cam HI-6DI2 , which is for a distributorless 4 cyl, they are sold local here for 460.oo. so i will probably go with that, a walbro 255 fuel pump, and an unorthodox underdrive pulley kit and remove my power steering and a/c totally. i am also doing a custom motor mount job with hand fab'ed solid mounts made of steel. this is all in prep for the turbo kit i choose in '07, (unless i can come up with the funds earlier) what else might i do to "prep" my car for the stage one kits? i know that most of the stuff i am buying comes with the turbo kits, i will probably just buy the turbo, mani, and all the lines for oil cool and if i have enough money, buy the i/c also.
but with these upgrades.....

crane ignition

fuel pump

wires

injectors?

cai ( a real one )

what will be my times? will it be better?

Old 12-12-2005, 10:53 PM
casper
Legend

1st off why get the stage1?? Its only a few hundred more for a better kit with much more hp.

If you are planning on a chill or hahns, you don't need the injectors, fuel pump or CAI. The injectors and pump are dealt with in the kit and any CAI you get won't work with the turbo kit.

If you are planning on making your own kit I suggest some serious research, Maximum boost by corkey bell is a great book. Also by building your own kit you will generally spend more time and not get as good of results than with either kit. They are both good bases and can be built on to any level that you want.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:04 PM
dazzellers_95
Professional

1st off why get the stage1?? Its only a few hundred more for a better kit with much more hp.

If you are planning on a chill or hahns, you don't need the injectors, fuel pump or CAI. The injectors and pump are dealt with in the kit and any CAI you get won't work with the turbo kit.

If you are planning on making your own kit I suggest some serious research, Maximum boost by corkey bell is a great book. Also by building your own kit you will generally spend more time and not get as good of results than with either kit. They are both good bases and can be built on to any level that you want.
so, what you are sayin is this, just wait til '07 when i can afford the turbo kit, get it from hahn, just buy the crane ignition, and wires and coil pack and leave the rest up to the kit?
i just thought i could get a 16g turbo and mani and such without buyin a whole kit from hahn's. if i cant do that, then i will have to wait for the kit to get the stuff they say is in it.

well, with just the ignition done, what times am i lookin at? roughly.
will it be a good investment right now, or wait til i get the turbo kit?
all i know is i wll have 1k to spend in febuary for my car and i want to spend it the most efficieant way possible to get me faster.
but, i really dont know what i need, or what i can get for 1 grand you know.
what would you recomend starting off with and spending 1000.oo on?

Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 AM
casper
Legend

1st thing you need to decide, is if you wanna buy parts the will help you now, but will be useless when you get the turbo, I have a CAI and header that will be sold or junked when I go turbo. It really all depends on how you wanna do it. If you have $1000 and want to put it all into parts that will be used with a turbo kit, I would say........ Borla or custom cat-back exhuast($200-$300), performance PCM($300), crane #14 cam($300). Thats all for performance, somewhere in there should be motor mounts, short shifter, shifter bushings, suspension, and brakes. With those 3 things, you will have a solid start for a turbo. depending on where you wanna end up you should plan on anywhere from $5000 to $10,000+ into the car.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:03 PM
dazzellers_95
Professional

1st thing you need to decide, is if you wanna buy parts the will help you now, but will be useless when you get the turbo, I have a CAI and header that will be sold or junked when I go turbo. It really all depends on how you wanna do it. If you have $1000 and want to put it all into parts that will be used with a turbo kit, I would say........ Borla or custom cat-back exhuast($200-$300), performance PCM($300), crane #14 cam($300). Thats all for performance, somewhere in there should be motor mounts, short shifter, shifter bushings, suspension, and brakes. With those 3 things, you will have a solid start for a turbo. depending on where you wanna end up you should plan on anywhere from $5000 to $10,000+ into the car.
thanks for the tips. i have a hollow cat right now so no need for a new one, lol. i will go with the ecu, and crane ignition, but you mentioned a crane cam? i will probably need to get valves and seals also right?
yeah, i dont want to waste my money on parts that i will be taking off and replacing turbo stuff with. that is my ultimate goal, a turbo neon, so headers and such are not goin to do it. but i figure, an ecu, ignition, and my custom solid motor mounts will be a great start. so what about those cams? will i need to upgrade from those to a more aggressive one for the turbo? like i said, this is 1k that i am spendin in anticipation for the turbo kit. thanks again, dave.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Gary Howell
Professional

ORIGINAL: dazzellers_95
crane ignition
This is the Crane Ignition. You can get it now and it will help with performance. You can add the timing retard at a later date when you get your turbo system.
http://www.howellautomotive.com/Howe...roducts_id=190

fuel pump
The Walbro fuel pump will help and will work with the booster pump that comes with the Hahn kit in the future.

ORIGINAL: dazzellers_95wires
injectors?
You don't need to upgrade your injectors. The Hahn kit comes with fuel enrichment in the form of a rising rate of gain fuel pressure regulator.

wires
The Crane wires have the lowest resistance, but also consider putting on a Screamin Demon coil at the sametime.

Have you thought of buying the Neon performance book?
http://www.howellautomotive.com/Howe...oducts_id=2384

Old 12-13-2005, 04:12 PM
dazzellers_95
Professional

wow, thanks, i will get that book this week. wow.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:46 PM
casper
Legend

The crane #14 will give you are more agressive idle and you don't need it with the turbo kit, but it will make a big difference.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:05 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Gary, are you saying the Crane unit advances timing? I thought the only piggyback doing that was still the SMT-6, and even that took some work on the Neon. For the price though, you can get a fully built Megasquirt setup and have full timing and fuel control. Might not be ideal for the '96-up folks that need the OBD-2 port checked during the emissions inspection, but still...

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm for more info on "low-resistance" wires. Yeah, I realize it's a competitor's website, blah blah blah... Plenty of people are making plenty of power with Crane, MSD, and Magnecor wires. Any quality brand name wire is going to hold up better than stock, auto store replacements, gimmick wires (Nology), or even a Mopar set after a point.

I'm working on a review of that Neon performance book. I have the signed, number 1 copy at home... Overall I think it's very informative and worth every penny. It's not a recipe book with side-by-side dyno comparisons of every possible performance item out there, for those that might be hoping... I do have minor differences of opinion on a few topics (corner weighting methods and spring rate selection come to mind), and the book is outright wrong in a couple of spots (claiming that wheel diameter, not tire diameter, will have an effect on speedo reading/gearing/etc.). If you guys haven't ordered it, don't hold back... It puts the Mopar Neon performance book to shame. Very well written, very well researched, entertaining even.

As far as the Screamin' Demon... That's a whole other debate. I have more issue with the overgapping than anything else.

It is good to see you back in forums again.

Quick Reply: so i decided to...