1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Fuel Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 01:03 AM
elnoyl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Replacement

I have a 95 plymouth neon sport manual 2.0 sohc. I am going to change the fuel filter. What tools do i need? where is it? Is there a specific brand of fuel filter i should buy?

Old 12-24-2005, 03:24 AM
red91RT
Veteran
Default RE: Fuel Filter Replacement

if they have it in stock and it's a good price, I always like BOSCH stuff--except for their sparkplugs.

It's on the passenger side, behind axle, inside fuel tank. REmove the cover plate--three screws, need a wrench and couple short sockets--I think they were 10 mm if I remember right--maybe even smaller. Then you twist the lock plate counter-clockwise and the whole assembly should come out (more or less). I've tried doing this in a parking lot with out jacking it up and I recall that it was a little hard to pull the whole thing out because the float level, etc. means you need a little angle under the tank to get it out. So. . . give yourself some room.

If you don't have the tools just go get a little $50 Craftsmen metric socket wrench set and that should get it done for you.

Luck.

Old 12-25-2005, 04:43 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

What?!?

The filter is mounted underneath a panel just forward of the passenger side rear wheel. There is no dropping of the tank. There is no removing of the fuel pump. It's a couple of bolts and a couple of fittings. You can do it with the car jacked up without removing the wheel, but removing it makes the job a little easier.

Best of luck!

Old 12-26-2005, 02:19 PM
dazzellers_95
Professional

ORIGINAL: RadarLove

What?!?

The filter is mounted underneath a panel just forward of the passenger side rear wheel. There is no dropping of the tank. There is no removing of the fuel pump. It's a couple of bolts and a couple of fittings. You can do it with the car jacked up without removing the wheel, but removing it makes the job a little easier.

Best of luck!
its a little cylinder thing mounted on the frame just like he said^^^
just watch out for the plastic clips that hold the hoses on the filter.

any advise for those btw??

Old 01-13-2006, 02:53 AM
red91RT
Veteran

doh--just reading old stuff. Read "filter" thought "pump". Duh. (you don't have to "drop" the tank for the pump either, but it you do have to twist the pump/sending unit a little at an angle to get it out. . . should you ever have to do that job too.)

Old 01-15-2006, 08:38 AM
Ramrat
Professional

I beleave it was a 10mm socet to get the cover off. i used a x-tention for the one bolt (you'll see it) and left the wheel on, took me a whole lot of cursing to figure out the line clips though, just push the line forward and push the clip together and pull whell holding the clip tight. took me about 10-15 mins for the job.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:18 AM
neon1985
Professional

yeah i just did my pump it sucks............................................. .........................

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Replacement