1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Good Strut and Spring Setup??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Charles Leto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Strut and Spring Setup??

I want to lower my 95 4 door about 1.5 inches or so without blowing apart struts and being able to drive without bouncing my brains out.

I was thinking of Mopar High Rates but do not know what a good strut for that spring is to get some longevity and lifespan.

I want to end up with a lowered ride and better handling but still have a good ride without having to replace struts all the time.

Thanks

Old 12-25-2005, 04:55 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good Strut and Spring Setup??

The Neon's stock strut travel is only about 3". Because of this, it is simply not possible to lower the car without increasing the spring rates. And with higher spring rates, the struts must be valved stiffer. With stiffer springs and stiffer struts, you end up with a harsher ride. If the Neon had 14" of travel like the WRX, it would be a different story. As it is, you need to decide between comfy ride, lowering, and performance. You can pick 2, you can't have all 3...

If you are going with a strut spring combo, the Mopar High Rates with Koni's are the cheapest option. If you aren't as concerned with performance, you can go with a Koni/H&R Racing Spring combo (little more money though) which are a progressive rate spring and will ride a little nicer. Before Mopar springs came out, folks used to go with the Koni/Eibach Pro setup, but that's even more money and not a terribly reliable setup because the rates (also progressive) vary substantially over the very short range. All 3 of those options will lower the car between 1" and 1.5".

For a little more money and a noticeably stiffer ride, you can get a complete coilover setup from www.phantomhp.com for $950. This will give you the lowering you want (and then some), competition level handling, camber adjustability, and jounce/rebound adjustability. You can purchase lower rate coils seperately if needed. There are several other coilover sets out there that are only height adjustable in the same price range that aren't quite as stiff.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Good Strut and Spring Setup??