1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Gauge Cluster Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 06:09 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gauge Cluster Swap

Your gonna have the mileage of the car you get the cluster out of as well. You better make a note of this if you ever go to selling it as it would be seen as odometer fraud otherwise.

Old 12-31-2005, 06:55 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dads a dealer he knows the old roll back trick

Old 01-02-2006, 09:51 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 95's were an oddity... here's the scoop:

- Not all 95's had the tack wire completely installed if the car didn't come with a tach. It might be there, but not hooked up at one end. You can check voltage (millivolts) while the car is running to make sure there's a signal.

- If you have a voltage signal, it will run any 1st gen factory cluster. All factory tachometers are voltage driven.

- If you have a '95 and want to install an aftermarket tach, you may run into trouble because 99% of aftermarket tach's are pulse (square wave) driven. If your '95 came with a factory tach, you have the square wave signal and can run an aftermarket tach. If your '95 did not come with a tach, you probably are not geting a square wave signal.

I've only seen one exception to that rule, and it wasn't the original owner so there's no telling what parts were changed out over the years. Best I can tell is that a different crank sensor was used since it's the only logical explanation. My '95 has no square wave signal with the stock PCM, a stock DOHC PCM, a Mopar SOHC PCM, and a Mopar DOHC PCM. I have the factory original crank sensor.

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Swap