1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Travisd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid question

i have a question, it may be stupid, i dont know but ive been thinking, does anyone know if a 2.0 crank shaft will fit a 2.4 block, if so the firing order would stay the same and wouldn't have to change your wiring around, but i know there would a lose of displacement, but if i ran turbo with lots of boost, i think that would be a nice motor that would probably rev high. who knows. just a question.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:46 PM
whyte69
Veteran
Default RE: stupid question

The 2.4 block is a DOHC. Meaning it's a dual overhead cam. It's got 2 camshafts. Yes, the shaft will fit, but you need 2 of them to make it work.

If you're looking at doing all of that work to your motor, you probably would have been better off to buy an SRT-4. It comes with the 2.4 litre engine as well as a turbo.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:16 PM
notallhere
Rookie

two cranks? not sure what that would fit?
now if he was trying to use the cams yeah two
but every engine i ever worked only had one crank

Old 01-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Travisd

i should have titled it stupid answers! ok i said CRANK-SHAFT, not CAM-SHAFTS, please read before reply, the block on a 2.4 is taller than the 2.0 block, so if you put a 2.0 CRANK-SHAFT, that thing on the bottom of the motor that spins, in a 2.4 engine block and used a 2.0 high performance kit from howell, and ran a turbo with lots of boosts, because the engine displacement loss because of a shorter stroke would make lowers your compression, would your rmp range be greater because of the shorter stroke, and possibly make more power on the top end of your rmp range. So my question "will it fit or not." that is my stupid question. ok. i have no clue how cam shaft came out of that.

Old 01-28-2006, 04:31 PM
kevo9968

Well the difference in stroke is .7 of an inch on the the years that i researched. It might fit, i can get measurments of the journals of my 2.4l crank, but i dont have journal readings for my 2.0L..so when i get those and you can get the 2.0ls that will tell you if it will fit in the mains and rod caps. Other than that i would imagine it would fit. The rotating mass will be lil less so you might get a lil more RMPS, but i dont think youll get much to notice with that turbo and stuff.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:09 AM
98Neon4Door
Professional

Its a 4 piston engine meaning it has 4 crankshafts and 1 connecting rod. A "Camshaft" I thought they were called clam shafts, useing a clam shell. And the air flows in through the muffler/header and then exits through the (out)intake manifold (thing on front of motor) then out the air filter (to keep the exhaust clean) and all this creates fuel that flows into your gas tank. That way you go to the gas station to pump out the gas. Also R is for Race so when you pull up to the red light in town and rev your little motor at the honDUH next to you be sure to put it in R. Also the pedal on the left is gas and the far right pedal is break. And for those of you who want that "turbo" sound just put the BOV on your intake (You dont need a turbo) and it will give you the pssschhhhh sound you have always wanted. Red paint is worth 5hp while yellow is worth 10 stickers add 1hp each and neons add 60. Bigger subs will make you go faster because the bass will push your car down the track (thats why you mount them facing out of the trunk....) The little "Oil filler hole" on top of your engine is for water and the radiator takes 90wt. If you need something to jack on to lift your car use the aluminum pan on the bottom of the motor, thats what they put it there for (pan next to oil i mean water filter) Also if you grease your windshield wiper blades they will work a lot better (use axle grease) A good cleaning agent to was your paint can be, eggs, shaveing cream and even break fluid, don't dilute these as that will just hamper the cleaning effect. If you live in a dusty area use armor all on the outside of your car as it leaves a brilliant shine and will keep the dust off......

Oh and 2.0 means you have 2 horse power while a 2.4 has 2.4hp I dont know why they say 2.0liter cuz there just wrong and the worlds flat also.

Sorry just thought I'd put in my $.02 on your crankshaft question. And by loseing the longer stroke you could perhaps gain upper rpm hp but lose some torq... And torq is always nice to have.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Ramrat
Professional

ROFLMAO, no such thing as a stupid question just stupid answers........ and then you got that last post LOL!

Old 01-31-2006, 12:41 AM
casper
Legend

No, buy a 2.0L crank. You should be able to get one fairly cheap from the junk yard.

Quick Reply: stupid question