1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

False Temperature Indication

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Kakkerlakken
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default False Temperature Indication

CHRYSLER NEON 2.0LX 1997

I have a real headache of a temperature problem with my above car here in UK - and would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem or, knows of the problem.

The temperature indicator goes high when the engine is running at 'normal' temperature. The garage where I take the car has checked the water temperature and it is fine. Also, one knows when a car is overheating the minute you open the bonnet and see the engine......the heat simply 'hits' you! The engine is perfectly cool enough.

To prove a point, within a minute of starting the engine, the needle shoots right up to over-temperature (maximum scale), then drops down to what would be normal at that time.

Other times it just rises when you take your foot slightly off the accelerator pedal at, say, 60 miles per hour.

Moreover, the fans are on as soon as I start the engine. They don't go off (air conditioning switch is not on!).

Can anyone give me some clues here?

Mark

Old 02-03-2006, 05:10 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: False Temperature Indication

Check you temperature sending unit. it's screwed into your intake manifold on the Dohc it is on the right of your thermostat housing and costs around $20 dollars, as for your fans not shutting down, this also happened to me at the dollar store, sounds like your fan relay is bad, for the DOHC facing your car from the front it will be against the right fender, if you get up under your car from the driver side and reach up and feel around to ur left you should be able to feel a square like object with two screws one on the left and one on the right that holds it to the wall

Old 02-03-2006, 07:38 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: False Temperature Indication

I would think its a bad temp sender, replace it they are cheap.

Quick Reply: False Temperature Indication