1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Stalling - hesitation - stuttering !!! SOLVED!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 01:47 AM
gutted
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stalling - hesitation - stuttering - Please help!

Did you test for codes yet?

One of my Neons had similar symptoms before it became very obvious I needed a new headgasket (and my head was warped). How many miles on the car?

Old 02-23-2006, 06:47 PM
aJester
Default RE: Stalling - hesitation - stuttering - Please help!

Gutted...
Yes. I did check for codes. Nothing.
Am NOT getting any error codes...... And 82,000 miles on the Neon.

I had already changed the Head Gasket.
So far : Spark plugs, Spark wires, Head Gasket, Seal caps, Air filter.

Anywayz, am planning to change my O2 sensors as some of the guys above had suggested sometime in the weekend. (Hope it is NOT too cold this weekend)

-aJester

Old 02-25-2006, 09:01 PM
aJester
Default Stalling - hesitation - stuttering - SOLVED !!!!

!!! Problem RESOLVED !!!

First of all, Thanks to everyone who pitched in with their suggestions and advice. You guys rock.!

Last night we had dinner with a couple. As it turned out, the guy was an expert on engines. He offered to help and did a test drive with me. He heard the engine and said one word "Transmission".

Turns out the Transmission fluid was low.. (ouch). pretty Low. We used Castrol Transmission Fluid *** and it worked like a charm. Goes without saying that I was totally embarassed, but he was nice about it and said that the mechanic should have noticed it when I took it to the shop the first time. Oh well.. :0)

***IMPORTANT: Please REFER your OWNER's manual for the right ATF.
My 2003 Neon Owner' Manual says ATF +4 .
I used ATF+3 (as I do NOT have the Owners manual for that car 1998 - 1st Gen Neons) based on Autozone advice.

For those of you who MAY have this same "symptoms" here is what we did. Am giving a step by step process for the less "mechanically-inclined".

(1) Open the hood.
(2) Pull out the "stick" for the Transmission fluid (TF-S)
(3) Wipe TF-S with a cloth. *IMPORTANT* coz when the car runs the fluid gets all over this "stick".
(4) Put it back where you took it from
(5) Start your engine and keep it running.
(6) Pull out TF-S again. TF-S has 3 markings on it
+++ 6.1 ADD
+++ 6.2 WARM (in come cases COLD)
+++ 6.3 HOT
The 3 markings above are separated by a hold, which will hold the fluid bubble.

(7) If the fluid level is at or below the FIRST hole (ADD) on the TF-S it means you are low on Transmission fluid
(8) Add fluid using a funnel. Autozone said Castrol ATF+3 is the best for Neons
***** Check if this is the right Trans Fluid for your car.

(9) The fluid should be filled till the 2nd hole (between Warm and HOT) .. or in some case cases Cold and HOT is filled with fluid.
(10) In my case as this problem has been going on for sometime, we did this a few times :
+++ 10.1 Keep the brake pressed AT all times so that car stays in place.
+++ 10.2 Keeping the brake pressed shift my gear to all the positions (P, R, N, D, 2, 1) a few times.
Please NOTE that the brake shoud NOT be released to avoid the car moving.
(11) Close the hood and take a test drive. :0)

The hesitation, stalling, jerks, skipping, missing or whatever the correct term is is no more there. I tried stopping and starting a few times and the Neon responds like a champ. Tried again today morning and so far so good.

As it happens the friend did say that I should check the fluid level for a few days/weeks. If the level goes down, I may have a leak. I hope not.

Well, most of you probably know all this. Well. I didn't. I guess it is never too late to learn...

Once again Thanks to all the Neon Experts who pitched in with suggestions and advice. Keep up the good work. I have learnt a lot in the past few days. You guys rock!

-aJester..

PS: I wanted to update the title/subject of this thread to add the word "SOLVED" at the end, in case someone has similar problems, but I could not.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:04 AM
p3
Rookie
Default RE: Stalling - hesitation - stuttering - SOLVED !!!!

Hey Congrats on ur problem solution but i got 97 neon and maybe i am not used to the mannual 5spd tranmission but ocassionally i end up stalling the darn thing. So where is this TF- Stick? All i see is a Yellow Ring when i open the hood, is there any other stick somewhere i am missing?

Edit: Hmm i guess standard dont have a ATF its for automatic tranmissions i guess.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:22 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: p3
Edit: Hmm i guess standard dont have a ATF its for automatic tranmissions i guess.
You would be correct.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:45 PM
tomthedog
Captain

best advice i can give you guys : if you are not very good at cars, got to your local parts store and get a book on how to worh on your car. lots of general stuff works between cars but the books can cover info about your car. worth the money, big time.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:25 PM
p3
Rookie

I have owners mannual 97 model but whats this other mannual any car workshop would have it , would canadian tire have it ?

Old 06-27-2006, 08:33 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: p3

I have owners mannual 97 model but whats this other mannual any car workshop would have it , would canadian tire have it ?
They should.

Quick Reply: Stalling - hesitation - stuttering !!! SOLVED!!!!!