1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

why???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 08:31 PM
fiddy23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why???

how come the dropzone coilovers dont fit on the kyb gr2's?? the sleve is too small....what do i do??

Old 02-26-2006, 01:30 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: why???

First, consider how long you want your struts to last. Coilover sleeves on GR-2's typically make it about a year. Want to continue?

If you try installing the sleeves directly onto the struts, you will actually raise the height of the car by a minimum of 1/2" or so. Luckily, there's a fix.

You'll need to get a die grinder (A Dremel will do, but take longer) and completely cut off the spring perch. Be careful, that's pressurized fluid in the tube right where you are cutting, and you WILL hurt/kill yourself if you cut through it or overheat it to the bursting point... You'll need to make sure there are no rough edges where the spring perch used to be, this is where the smaller Dremel comes in handy...

Next, you'll need a 6" long piece of 2.25-2.5" exhaust tubing and a u-bolt exhaust clamp for each strut. Slide the tubing all the way down, then install the u-clamp to hold it in place. Congratulations, you have just made a new spring perch for your coilover sleeves.

If you stop now, you'll bottom out the struts and won't even make it a year. So... Up at the top of the strut, where it pokes through the strut mount, you'll need to grind the shoulder a good inch or two further. Be careful not to grind off or damage the threads that are on there. When installing, youll need to add a bunch of washers to take up the slack.

Now you've got 600+ lb/in springs on struts that were valved for no more than 180 lb/in or so. The ride will be bouncy until the struts blow, and then it will be really really bouncy.

Wish I had better news for ya... but that's the sad truth of "coilovers" on stock-based struts. Even Koni's can't handle that high of a spring rate... If you want a great set of real coilovers, they only run $1200 or so, height adjustable, adjustable rebound and compression (single ****), adjustable camber (camber plates in front), and the struts are properly valved for the spring rates. Check out the K-Sports at www.phantomhp.com . Every now and then the price will drop to just under $1000.

Best of luck!

Old 02-26-2006, 11:20 PM
fiddy23

damn that sux....i am going with lowering springs instead...

Old 03-02-2006, 08:48 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Like I said though, lowering springs on stock-based struts aren't going to be any better. The GR-2's are stock based, valved roughly the same as the R/T's and base models. From experience, progressive rate springs (everything except Mopar) don't get stiff enough to do any good before bottoming out.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:37 PM
fiddy23

so i bought skunk2's for lowering springs...will thoes go good with the kyb GR2's?? since the drop is only around 1.5??

Old 03-05-2006, 07:08 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Are they coilover sleeves? Last I checked, Skunk2 doesn't make lowering springs for Neons, just generic-fit sleeves. So you're going to run into the same issue. The sleeves are taller than the stock springs, even on the lowest height setting. And you still have the rate issue, I think the Skunk2's were in the 600-650 lb/in range. GR-2's are only good for stock replacement struts. I wouldn't use any spring other than stock with them, maybe the H&R Race springs.