1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

low gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 01:04 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default low gas milage

my neon just pushed over 116,00 miles and is now only getting 21mpg on a good day. anyone know how to get better milage.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:14 AM
whyte69
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: low gas milage

it's as simple as a basic tune-up, just in time for spring. Replace your spark plugs and wires (NGK spark plugs, or Champions. And MSD, Crane, or comparable wires). Replace your air filter (stock paper is fine, or you can upgrade to the performance K&N for a bit more). Run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through your tank for a tank or two (LOTS to choose from, I prefer STP because it's a name I trust). Keep your tires inflated to spec which should be about 35 psi. Check all fluids especially your oil and tranny fluid. That should get you started and should up your MPG a few notches. I wouldn't expect too much more out of the car unless you're driving a lot of highway miles. The highest I've seen on these boards is 32 MPG and that's 90% highway. Let us know how these tips work for you.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:54 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: low gas milage

I find it weird how highest you heard was 32, personally, I can haul in over 35 mpg each tank consistently, thats like 80 city, 20% highway. I dunno, a freak show car? I think on highway it comes to around 40.

Quick Reply: low gas milage