1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Jeanette656
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problem

Yet again i come to this forum for help....my stellar neon is making a rattleing noise thats coming from the tranny...funny thing is it stops when I shove in the clutch, and only happens when its cold , I had the tranny replaced about a month ago, ever since I have about 3 inchs of play in the pedal, not sure if that helps any.....any ideas would be appreciated... Thanks in advance

Old 03-01-2006, 02:40 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: clutch problem

Sounds like you need a new clutch cable, clutch fork, or clutch fork ball. I would start with the cable as you can do the fork and ball while the trans in on the car, but its gonna be pretty hard to do. If the clutch cable is loose its not going to keep the fork tight and it will rattle.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Jeanette656

another bit of info, I realized that it'll make the same noise if the car is rolling, in gear, with the clutch shoved in.........Im really considering on fire insurance right now [:@]

Old 03-01-2006, 06:58 PM
casper
Legend

With all the problems you are having with your car, I would suggest a new car.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Jeanette656

I know [&o] but I dont think I can afford a new one right now, put all my money into this p.o.s......plus, I figure with all the parts ive replaced so far, its practicley new

Old 03-02-2006, 09:51 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Open the hood and find where the clutch cable comes out of the firewall. It's going to be on the driver's side and has a long spring wrapped around a good portion of it. Grab tightly on a part of the cable that doesn't have the spring around it, and give it a good pull away from the firewall. You should hear it click a few times. Now go back in and see if there's less pedal play.

My guess is that the shop did not replace the clutch with the new tranny. Even if they did, many don't change the throwout bearing unless you ask them to. The TOB is attached to the clutch fork with 2 flimsy tabs that break if you breathe on them wrong... Even with your clutch cable tight, you will get the ratting sound if that TOB has worked its way loose. The rattling will be the TOB bouncing off the clutch pressure plate fingers, which will cause damage over time. If the rattling goes away with the tighter cable, then all is good.

Best of luck!

Old 03-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Jeanette656

Awesome! Thanks for the help, worked like a charm! Finally, a problem that could be fixed without money!!! You have made my week!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:10 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

It's the #1 reason I come to these boards, glad I could help.

Quick Reply: clutch problem