1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 08:16 PM
95kneeon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine problems

My 95 neon is having some engine problems. It starts fine but it idles very rough and when driving it seems like it is going to stall. It has new spark plugs, fuel pump and MAP sensor. any help?

Old 03-11-2006, 09:30 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Default RE: engine problems

Do something thats gonna be free first, check your battery connections, the Neon likes them real clean and connected real tight, that alone will make the car run like ***.

Now to the stuff that costs a few.

New wires, coil pack, battery, even a alternator. The rough idle is gonna be from the Performance Cam that Mopar put in the 95 only, but if its really rough like you said you need to check batery, alternator, pack and wires. start cheap.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:31 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to check for codes first. If you don't already know how, here is a link to how and the code list: http://www.troublecodes.net/neon/

Old 03-14-2006, 07:07 PM
95kneeon

I did the trouble codes and it came up 43 cylinder misfire

Old 03-16-2006, 01:34 PM
unlead

i'm having this problem too but i've found what causes this to my neon

first of all.. tcheck the coil pak, wires, and plugs(mine have blown some resistance in the cpu, it cost me a rebuild of the computer(ACR config for a happy 800$) the map, tps, iac, knock and crank sensor(this is the latest piece that causes code to the car, a intermitent reference faulty) so... if ya having problems again... change the fuel filter and put a injector cleaner. i've done all that.. and the problem din't came again!

Old 03-19-2006, 02:57 PM
beerplease

a code 43 just tell's u there's been a missfire unfortunatly it doesn't tell what caused the missfire. in a 95 I would start by checking all the hoses for cracks and make sure none where disconnected, My opinion is if your computer wasn't working u wouldn't be able to even get a trouble code so I would count that out for the time being not saying for sure just my opinion. Did u check the oil and antifreeze ? Those headgaskets are known to go sooner or later how many miles do you have ? If u havn't changed plug wires yet change them, if there bad and u missfired you will get a code 43. Start with that than let us know good luck.

Old 03-19-2006, 05:10 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

Start of with Plugs, wires, coil pack, ect.

How clean is your cat, a dirty cat will cause your car to run like ***.

Old 03-19-2006, 05:29 PM
harry_angel69

We searched everywhere for the miss in my friends 95 neon. After doing everything twice we discovered electrical clip on the coil does not seat well. This caused the misfire.

May not work, but it is a quick free check.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:58 PM
turbo414

wow, If you have a simple miss fire code start at the beginning. pull a plug wire one at a time and see which cylinder it is. then try moving the plug, then the wire to see if the miss goes with the plug, or the wire. if the miss stays with the cylinder more often you have some head problems. if the miss follows the plug or wire need I say more? it also could be in the coil pack if it stays with the cylinder but most of the time if you have coil problems youll have a multi miss fire code becasuse the plugs ground the coil out.(meaning if #4 is bad then #2 will not fire.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:39 AM
95kneeon

it has 85,000 miles on it and the oil and antifreeze were fine before i left to go to murrays and the engine temperature went way above normal i went into murrays and bought an radiator thermostat and came out and there was a puddle of antifreeze under my car. I went home making sure the needle wasnt getting too high. I turned the heat on all the way and it was blowing out cold air got home put the thermostat in and it didnt help the problem. The check engine light is still on and still looking for ways to fix my problem.

Quick Reply: engine problems