1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

fuel pump fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 02:44 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fuel pump fuse

Hm thats a good one there, I would think wires but you said they are good to go, and no leaks, I gota say im leaning towards a crossed wire though, It could possibly be a fuseable link,have you checked those? or could just be the pcm gone bad, where would that short be? im gona check my hanes book out and check under my hood for some possible Ideas for you, Ill do some tracing from the fuel stuff on through the car and even from my pcm and stuff, monday if the problem isnt solved Ill call the guy who fixes my car, he delt with strickly chrysler cars when he worked for the dealership and has guys that own 1st gen neons there and do there own work. good luck spud

Old 03-18-2006, 09:45 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im gonna try to find sumthing out today or tomorrow, whenever i get a chance...if i find anything out i will post it...please let me know what you find out...i havent driven the car in 2 years and its the only thing stopping it fom being done...

Old 03-18-2006, 02:32 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

sure thing If I find something I will let you know

Old 03-20-2006, 12:54 AM
spudsterier
Legend

ok so here is the deal, i threw a new pcm in the car today that i know was good and now the fuse blows when you just turn the ignition on, and i dont remember if i heard the fuel pum kicking on or now...tomorrow im goin to check to see if the pump works and probally rip the car apart to check all the wires in the harness...anyone else have any new ideas

Old 03-20-2006, 01:44 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

Its gotta be with something with the fuel pump, for it just to blow when you stick the key in and turn means somewhere that the current is being interuped, maybe one of the wires is crossing, I did some checking with a buddy of mine who has a neon and works at a dealership, compared to the problem I once had with my fuse pump relay blowing we did some checking. i remember the pin that hooks up to the fuel pump had broke off( the thing that latches it no biggie) since you dont have any leaks I wouldnt worry about anything being corroded from gas dripping, Then we went over a prob he had, for some reason his fuel level would just go from full to empty for no reason, we later found that there was a short with his fuel pump( we figured it was just the floaty) If there was gona be a short anywhere under the conditions that you have checked all the wires and have no leak, we think that the short could possible be that connector pin or within the fuel pump its self. hope that might have been helpfull

Old 03-20-2006, 02:09 AM
spudsterier
Legend

hey thanks....im gonna check everything tomorrow...i will rip the bastard apart to figure it out with no problems

Old 03-20-2006, 04:03 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

anytime time spud, Good luck and let me know how it goes

Old 03-20-2006, 11:29 PM
spudsterier
Legend

ok a new development, i used a jumper wire and ran it from the battery straight to the clip at the fuel pump...pump works fine..so i ripped out the back seat, all the floor trim, and most of the carpet, and followed the fuel pump wire(green/white) up to the engine compartment...every few feet i spliced the wire and used the jumper wire and you could hear the pump working...i followed it all the way back to the fuse box under the hood...if you remove the fuel pump relay and stick the jumper wire in there then you can still hear it working...but if you put in the relay and turn the key then it pops the fuse...i even put a fuse on the jumper wire and stuck it in the relay slot, but this way it didnt blow, but put the relay back in and hook everything back up the right way and it pops...ive replaced all the relays and still nothing....and the fuel pump fuse only blows once and a while when you turn on the ignition, otherwise it goes when you try to turn the car over...when the ignition is turned on there is also a whinning sound comming from one of the sensors on the throttle body, so i replaced both of them and still does the same thing...............................any new ideas???

Old 03-21-2006, 10:03 PM
spudsterier
Legend

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!! the downstream o2 sensor was causing the problem....two of the wires were a little frayed and would make contact.thats all it was but i foud that out after ripping the whole inside of the car apart and the whole engine compartment...swapping sensors all over and pulling other crap off....but atleast its done

Old 03-21-2006, 11:02 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

congrads on the finding, an O2 sensor. well at least we had the wire part right, just a matter of finding it, well im glad you found it have fun

Quick Reply: fuel pump fuse