1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

pls help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:22 AM
uncatchable
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pls help

Ok I have a major problem with my neon I'm hoping someone on here knows what it is. About a month ago my car started sputtering on the highway but then quit for a week or so then it came back with a vengence now it sputters and the gauges go down like it died. I pulled the codes and got 12 27 55 I know what they mean 12 battery disconnected 27 fuel injector circuit 55 end of codes. So does anybody know what would cause a code 27? This is a 95 sohc mtx fed emmissions, I did replace the ecm and that kept the gauges from dorpping but not the sputtering. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:57 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: pls help

Could be dirty injectors, water in the tank, fouled plugs, clogged fuel filter or even the pump going out, try looking at your plugs and see if they are still in good shape, then maybe try some fuel injector cleaner. you could just need a tune up. Hope some of that was helpfull

Old 04-09-2006, 07:44 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: pls help

Well, the code is for the control circuit, meaning either the power to the injectors is being interrupted, or the grounds are being activated at the wrong time(s). The power to all injectors is a constant supply, should be dark green wires with an orange stripe, coming from the ASD relay. The ground wires all head back to the PCM, and the PCM determines when they should fire and grounds each one individually. The PCM determines the firing order based on a combination of crank and cam sensor readings. Since you aren't getting a code for the cam sensor, it's probably not an issue.

I would start with the connectors at the injectors. Make sure they are clean and seated properly. Then start tracing the wiring back and look for exposed wiring, places where the wiring might be getting stretched/kinked/burnt. You'll have to pull off a lot of conduit and a lot more sticky black tape to do this, unfortunately... It's a lot of hassle, and you may not even find the problem, but if you do, it's a lot cheaper than new injectors, which would be the next step... Wiring is also a more likely cause. I'm over 240k miles on the original injectors.

Before buying completely new injectors, you might see if a salvage yard has some (from a '95, the connectors changed after that) for a decent price, and start swapping them out, one at a time, to see if the problem goes away. New injectors are pricey, and you may have to buy and install new connectors if they don't match yours.

Best of luck!