1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

2002 2.0L SOHC into a 1995 Neon No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 10:21 PM
dave7343
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 2.0L SOHC into a 1995 Neon No Spark

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this site and I really need some help. I purchased a 1995 Neon from an ex-girl friend. The car had 110,000 miles and had lost power then died on her. There was oil residue in the radiator but no moisture on the dip stick, I assumed the head gasket was bad.
Due to the miles, I searched and found a 2002 SOHC motor with low miles and I installed it, however could not get a spark.
I am using the 1995 intake manifold, engine harness and pcm.

I have changed out the crank position sensor to the 1995, still no spark. I did notice when I ground the center wire on the crank sensor wire, the fuel pump would kick on.

Still no spark. The engine codes was 12 22 23 55, thus it is telling me the engine coolant temperature out of range and the intake air flow. Would the ect cause the engine not to spark? I have changed out the coil also. Please help...

Old 04-10-2006, 08:11 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2002 2.0L SOHC into a 1995 Neon No Spark

I'm assuming you're using the IAT that came on the '95 intake manifold. I don't think anything's changed on the ECT sensor over the years. There should be a ground wire and a signal wire on the IAT. The ECT should have 3 wires - a ground, signal to PCM, and signal to cluster. It's possible that they share a common ground and the harness was damaged, so I'd start looking at that wiring first.

Neither of those sensors on their own should stop spark. However, if it shares a common ground with the crank sensor...

When the key is taken to the "on" position, the ASD relay is energized for a couple of seconds, which energizes the fuel pump relay to pressurize the line. When the key is taken to "start", the ASD relay will energize again, but will turn off if a crank signal is not detected within a couple of revolutions. The ASD relay supplies power to the O2 sensors, fuel injectors, and - you guessed it - coilpack...

Tracing back wiring is a pain, and it may not completely solve the problem, but hopefully it'll get you going in the right direction.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: 2002 2.0L SOHC into a 1995 Neon No Spark