1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 11:43 PM
NeonKnight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.2

i have a complete turbo 2.2 out of a dodge daytona (year unknown) anything i can do to my neon with it?, possibly use the turbo?

Front
Turbo

got it for free so, cant complain

Old 04-10-2006, 08:32 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.2

The Neon's 2.0L and the 2.4L used in other Dodges are loosely based on the old 2.2/2.5L's. Well, the bore centers are the same, the oil and water passages are similar, bolt pattern is the same ... like I said, loosely based...

I have seen a project where the 2.2L was swapped into a neon, but it took a lot of custom work, including motor mounts and pedals (different tranny was used). I've also heard of folks swapping the 2.0L's DOHC 16v head onto their 2.2 or 2.5L block, but again, it did require a trip to the machine shop.

The available turbos for that car aren't really all that much, but it is free... Might see if the exhaust manifold bolt pattern is the same as what you have. If not, you'll have to either buy a custom manifold, or just cut the flange of the Daytona mani and have it welded onto a Neon mani (measure for fitment first, of course). Routing the oil lines shouldn't be too difficult. Then there's fuel management, intercooler and piping, fooling the MAP, etc.

So it's not really a bolt-in, easy project, but there are things to do to keep you busy if you're up for it...

Best of luck!