1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

DOHC or SOHC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 03:42 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DOHC or SOHC?

I'm planing on racing in the SCCA Production class either this year or next (most likely next) and i've been trying to decide on if i should go with lik a basic 1995 Dodge Neon (cause its the lightest) or go with like an ACR or R/T with the DOHC?

Old 05-02-2006, 05:20 PM
5.0LTREATER
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DOHC or SOHC?

To me it is personal preference. I run a 98 sohc in the local SCCA events. I have a 95 ACR dohc and actually turn better times with the sohc. The single cam maintains RPM better and recovers RPM's quicker. Less moving parts on the top end equals less parts to put in motion. (Internal rotating mass). This is based on my experience only and is proven only through the seat of my pants and time slips on both cars. I will admit, I am bias to the single cam as it was my first neon. Bought it new off the showroom floor in 98 and if I have my way, I will be buried in that car. I would rather drive it before I would my SRT.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 PM
das2123
Legend

I say race the '95 since it has the more agressive cam and is lighter.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:49 AM
NYG
Veteran

Production class or Improved Touring? I prefer the DOHC right now - Although I run Show Room Stock class - kinda waiting to hear how SSC will pan out. The rumor mill has it as SSC going away and becoming T4 class. Which if this is true - I can not compete against someone with money to throw at a race car to port and blue print an engine! If SSC Stays - I will retire my old DOHC Neon and start running the SOHC magnum engine.

How much money are you wanting to put into Racing - the IT groups over Production groups varies.

Also - which region are you in? what would you be racing againts - sometimes the different groups stack up differently in each region - and the different tracks in your region can also tell you what kind of car you want race (Some Tracks are Neon Freindly and some are not)- of course at the RunOffs you would be strickly in your own group. Bu

Will you do Regional Races or National Races?

Are you doing Solo or Club?

Personal experience - I have more Fun with my DOHC - Why you ask, Because I am more aggressive and push the limits of the car and myself with the DOHC - the parts are every where when it comes to putting the car back together.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:58 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion

I will hopefully be racing in the production Class H or G. and i dont really know how much i would be willing to spend in it but i will spend as much as i need to, to get the Neon competitive. i would be in the Midwest Region cause i live in Columbus Ohio. and the races i will start with regional cause i guess thats the only ones u can do at first and then i would like to go national. and i would be going club racing.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:19 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: NYG
myself with the DOHC - the parts are every where when it comes to putting the car back together.
SOHC parts are more readily available though.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:53 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

ACR's were available in 1995, just so you're aware, and available as SOHC (sedan) or DOHC (coupe). The R/T does have the DOHC, but it really isn't a competition car like the ACR is, is heavier, and wasn't available until 1998.

I'm not sure which one I'd rather have for club racing. I'm still partial to my SOHC, but I'd probably go DOHC if I had it to do all over again.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: DOHC or SOHC?