1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

what the hell dodi do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 01:59 AM
luckydogg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the hell dodi do?

OKM SO I WAS DRIVING HOME AND MY FING TRANNY BLEW IN MY 99 NEON THIS IS MY ONLY CAR AND I DONT KNOW ANYONE HERE DOES ANY ONE WHAT TRANNY THIS IS , WHAT I NEED?
THIS IS SERIOUSLY AN EMERGENCY HERE! IS IT EASY TO SWAP TRANNYS IN THIS CAR I HAVE EXPERIENCE BUT IVE NEVER DONE THIS NEW A CAR. PLEASE HELP..............................
THANKS
LUCKY

Old 05-09-2006, 02:07 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what the hell dodi do?

ATX or MTX? Year?

Old 05-09-2006, 02:12 AM
luckydogg

AUTOMATIC 2.0 SOHC 99 4 DOOR

Old 05-09-2006, 02:12 AM
neon2_0t
Professional

Hey interesting story same just happened to me a few weeks ago.... have you ever installed a tranny in a front wheel drive car before? If not it is some what complicated doing it your first time but its easy once you get a hang of it. You will need 4 quarts of Mopar ATF+4 transmission fuild, new transmission... can be found at an salvage yard for anywere from $250 to $600 I picked mine up with 55K for $400. Also you will then need a new transmission filter. I also replaced my axles well I had the stock ones out, you dont need to im just lazy and hate doing things twice. Youll need to remove alot from the engine bay and remove both axle shafts and front struts. Hope this helps, I can go more into detail if needed.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:01 AM
spudsterier
Legend

highly recomend getting a haynes manual for this one

Old 05-09-2006, 11:44 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

highly recomend getting a haynes manual for this one
At the least, but the FSM has no equal

Old 05-09-2006, 04:35 PM
spudsterier
Legend

if you wanna spend that much money....id rather save alot and get a haynes, it works just fine

Old 05-09-2006, 04:55 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: spudsterier
get a haynes, it works just fine
It does have some wrong info in it, like the gap for the plugs. It does work, I have one, a Chilton's and the FSM

Old 05-09-2006, 10:12 PM
dazzellers_95
Professional

first thing, take the wheels and axle bolt off the end of the axle shafts, then, the lower control arm bolt needs to come off. pop the axles out after draining the fluid, if there is any left, take the dust cover off in between the tranny and the engine. take all 5 ( or 6, i dont remember) torque converter bolts off if it is an auto, unbolt the starter after the battery is disconnected(should have made that #1) remove all the bell housing bolts from under the tranny first, then undo the top ones, making sure you get the bobble strut out of the way too. unhook the shifter linkages, and all wire harnesses, battery box, and throttle cable braket. get a jack under the tranny before removing the tranny mount. once the tranny mount is unbolted and removed, slowly lower the jack down while wiggling the tranny loose from the engine. it is a pretty simple removal. i have done it 4 times now, lol. mine is a manual tho, but i have the modular clutch so it is very much the same.
1st time, i blew the diff out, second one was bad when i put it in, third one was good, 4th one did the pt cruiser clutch swap cause mine was the traditional clutch and i wanted modular. good luck.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:35 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

www.car-parts.com is an online salvage yard database. Very handy, particularly if you can find what you need nearby (shipping an auto tranny would be a bit on the pricey side). The same tranny was used on the old Omnis and such, but I've never heard of anyone actually trying that route...

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: what the hell dodi do?