1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

ATX -> MTX & rear drums -> discs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 04:39 PM
thaguamanian
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ATX -> MTX & rear drums -> discs?

ok. as you know, i have an atx. now if i swap it with an mtx, will there be any problems with the mtx working with the atx engine? i think i heard something about someone saying that their civic could roll back with an atx. but before he bought it, it got a swap from mtx -> atx. something about the engine being 5-speed working with the 3-speed atx... which the atx gear box had to be configured to be compatible with the mtx engine. now is that true? haha... because i thought that as long as you have a neon, any neon transmission can fit... whether if the car was originally atx or mtx. i don't know.

i know someone who is selling a 97 dodge neon sohc mtx 4-dr for 2g. is that worth it or should i just buy his mtx. now about the rear disc conversion. can i take the front discs and place them in the rear? yes right? and how long will it take on an average to do the rear discs self-conversion?

thanks,
anthony

Old 06-25-2006, 06:24 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: thaguamanian
ok. as you know, i have an atx. now if i swap it with an mtx, will there be any problems with the mtx working with the atx engine?
There will be no problems. The tranny isn't controlled by the PCM unlike some other cars. Any tranny from 95-2001 will fit and work fine, just remember to change your PCM to an MTX one.

ORIGINAL: thaguamanian
now about the rear disc conversion. can i take the front discs and place them in the rear? yes right? and how long will it take on an average to do the rear discs self-conversion?
NO, the rear discs are different than the front ones. Figure a couple of hours for the conversion with all the right tools...air gun helps!

Old 06-25-2006, 07:10 PM
spudsterier
Legend

the front rotors are completely different then the rear, the rear have the brake surface for the e-brake pads, the front does not, the gripping surface on the rotor is also larger....the calipers are a different size, as are the brake pads....the e-brake cables has to be changed due to the way it attaches to the rear brakes....

Old 06-25-2006, 08:17 PM
das2123
Legend

Just so people are clear, to switch from drums to discs, you need everything from and including the e-brake cables back to the calipers.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:02 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

i just did a auto to manual swap, i had it done in one day, pedal assy. and shifter bolts right in the same place as the ATX parts, clutch cable hole is there just pop the plug out, axles are different,mine has the modular clutch deal so i didnt even have to unbolt the flexplate... as far as rear disc brakes go, i had 2 cars, one drum(non ABS) one disc (with ABS), the drum brake master has 2 lines out, disc brake master 4 lines out, it takes more volume of fluid to move a caliper, so i dunno if the disc master cyl will have enough to push the calipers or not, im gonna swap mine out after this race season is over

[IMG]local://upfiles/37714/CF80C6859296413DBCA6F9A0F1022C1F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-26-2006, 12:12 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: racerx55
so i dunno if the disc master cyl will have enough to push the calipers or not, im gonna swap mine out after this race season is over
The master cylinder does not need to be changed over. It works fine after the swap. You can if you'd like, but not necessary.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:38 AM
starik
Rookie

Some of you will disagree but doing auto to manual swap is totally not worth it.

I did the same kind of swap on Mitsu Eclipse. Sure, it was 4WD, so it was more work (pain) + more parts, but still, the fact doesn't change.

Sell your car, add some $$ if necessary and buy 5spd.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:40 AM
spudsterier
Legend

oh its not nearly that bad....all the bolts are fairly easy to get too, and can all be done with fairly chaply, specially since neons are a dime a dozen at junk yards and wont cost more then a few hundred bucks for all the parts....it definetally halp not being awd

Old 06-28-2006, 11:36 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: starik

Some of you will disagree but doing auto to manual swap is totally not worth it.

I did the same kind of swap on Mitsu Eclipse. Sure, it was 4WD, so it was more work (pain) + more parts, but still, the fact doesn't change.

Sell your car, add some $$ if necessary and buy 5spd.
You are comparing swapping trannies in a FWD to an AWD vehicle???? It is worth it and can be done real cheap if you do it yourself. What other mod can you do, minus turbo or nitrous, that can shave 1 to 1.5 seconds off your 1/4 time?

Old 06-28-2006, 11:54 AM
starik
Rookie

Only under a gun point.

To the original poster Athony -- just remember that conversion looks simple only on paper.

You guys are obviously star mechanics with access to car lifts, etc, etc. How about coming over and helping me with something useful like head gasket replacement ?

Quick Reply: ATX -> MTX & rear drums -> discs?