1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

97 Neon Headgasket replacement, car won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:05 PM
DGermann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Neon Headgasket replacement, car won't start...

Alright guys I am not a neon owner just helped a friend with his 97 Neon, replacing a headgasket, car has 127K on it, so bare with me. Car will crank but not start sounds like it is missing fuel and or spark.We replaced the following: PCV valve, air filter, timing belt, spark plugs, headgasket.
Spark plugs we used are Autolite double platnium gapped to 0.40-just read on here to not use platnium but don't think that is the problem?

First time we put everything back together and the car would not turn over, so we checked the timing and forgot to line up the crank pulley to TDC. We set the crank and the camshaft to TDC as per Haynes Manual and reassembled the car. Would this have damaged anything trying to start it like 4 times with the crank and cam not lined up to TDC??

After setting the timing correctly, The car still won't start.
Fuel pressure is really low, when you release the pressure it drips out, instead of spitting.
Regapped the plugs again to .35 were at .40, and it sounded like it almost wanted to turn over. Plugs had black resideu on them (but it cleaned right off),except the 4th cylinder. Rechecked all electrical connections and seems to be okay. Checked the spark and we are getting spark and the coil is getting power. I am concered about the fuel pressure.

Any ideas, tips, tricks?? Thanks soo much.

Drew

Old 06-14-2006, 12:59 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 97 Neon Headgasket replacement, car won't start...

chances are that the timing is still a little off....the crank needs to be set a little before tdc before you install the tensioner pin, because when you put the pin in, the belt and crank will move just a little(you have to really pay attention to it, if its just a little off, it can make all the difference.......

Old 06-14-2006, 02:03 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

chances are that the timing is still a little off....the crank needs to be set a little before tdc before you install the tensioner pin, because when you put the pin in, the belt and crank will move just a little(you have to really pay attention to it, if its just a little off, it can make all the difference.......
Agreed. I have seen and heard this time and time again. Most people don't wanna go back and recheck the timing because they swear thay got it right, but turns out they were incorrect.

Also get rid of the platinum plugs and put some stock Champions or NGK's in there.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:11 AM
DGermann

To set the timing we followed the Haynes manual as follows:

We lined up the cramshaft gear with the mark on the timing cover.

Crank pulley per Haynes manual:
intially align the TDC mark on the sprocket with the arrow on the block
back it off counterclockwise 3 notches before TDC
Rotate the crankshaft sprocket clockwise to 1/2 notch Before TDC

The mark for TDC on the crank was 1/2 tooth behind the TDC mark, once the belt was put on with the tension it lined exactly up with the TDC mark. We then loosened the crank bolt (since we were using this to turn the crank) and it was behind the TDC mark but the belt was already put on when they were both TDC--now as I read the manual again the TDC mark should have still be aligned even after the belt is alinged and the bolt loosened, correct?? If this is so then this is the problem.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:11 PM
tomthedog
Captain

after putting the belt on did you hand cranck the eng 2-4 full rotaions to see if the timming marks kept in time? i had to put the belt on 3 times before it lined up right.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:34 PM
DGermann

Nope...that would make alot of sense..Good call on that one.

So eveyone thinks its the timing and nothing else? What about the fuel pressure being really low?

Thanks for your help so far guys!

Old 06-14-2006, 02:41 PM
spudsterier
Legend

if the timing is off then the pressure would be low....once its dead on, it would be alot better

Old 06-15-2006, 01:09 PM
DGermann

Well my friend wanted to get the car done, since my friends and I had to tear it down again and reset the timing, so she took it to a shop. I thought it was just the timing being off.
Well supposedly the shop is saying there is internal engine damage as for the pistons hitting the valves in cylinder number 1 and 2, while 3 and 4 are at 60% power. She gave them the go to do the work and its going to be $1100!!!! Does this sound right??? We only tried to crank the car 4 times when the timing was really off and then a couple more times when it was very close. I am thinking the shop is trying to make extra money, but I guess it can happen. This is also the shop that was supposed to to the HG in the first place for $1200. As I said in the first comment:
"First time we put everything back together and the car would not turn over, so we checked the timing and forgot to line up the crank pulley to TDC. We set the crank and the camshaft to TDC as per Haynes Manual and reassembled the car. Would this have damaged anything trying to start it like 4 times with the crank and cam not lined up to TDC??"

Thoughts?? Thanks guys.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:31 PM
spudsterier
Legend

it might of....just like if your timing belt goes out, everything isnt in allignment anymore and thats when you bend valves.....could be the same deal, since the valves would of been opening at different times then they should

Old 06-15-2006, 04:01 PM
tomthedog
Captain

i've read on this post about sohc's blow a belt while going down the road and not bending valves (lucky no-doubt), dohc's vales ARE bent. price seems a little high (NOT BY MUCH).
talk to your local machine shop about a head rebuild, be sure to tell them what (the shop says) happened, and at what SPEED. see what they want for $$. stock rebuild should be less than $150, been a while from my last trip to the the M-shop. longer process, save $$$$. good luck.

Quick Reply: 97 Neon Headgasket replacement, car won't start...