1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

now im overheating!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 11:11 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default now im overheating!!!

i know there is a post in here like this alredy but, anyways ok so, goin down the road just driving there isnt any problem...but once i hit about 75mph or faster for more then a couple minuites, it starts getting warm, the only way to cool it down is to turn the heat on or once i slow down below 75 the temp goes down....now this doesnt happen just on hot days, it happens when its only 70 outside...it is starting to get annoying because its too hot for heat...there isnt any leaks anywhere that i can see, there isnt any coolant in the oil or oil in coolant, tcar doesnt smoke, it the coolant level is the same as it has been for a while....new thermostat and new cap.....i just wanna know what is goin on..any ideas???think its the water pump??? i also had to replace the radiator about a week ago because it had a hole in it and was leaking

Old 06-18-2006, 01:31 PM
das2123
Legend
Default RE: now im overheating!!!

Are the fans kicking on when they are supposed to? Yu may have air in the system.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:49 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with das, most likely air in the sys. sometimes real hard to get out.
other thing that you can check is the temp sensor. discon lead from sensor and turn ign to run. temp guage should be bottomed out. then ground out purple/yellow wire, guage should be pegged, and inst clust should chime awhile after belt light goes out. if it check out ok at least your temp sensor is ok.good luck.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:35 PM
spudsterier
Legend

the fans kick on and run like normal, i havent checked the sensor, and how do i get the air out? i have tried and tried and it is still doing the same every day

Old 06-18-2006, 10:13 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

I have an overheating problem also. I have replaced the radiator cap, the heater core lines and have attempted to get all the air out of the system and I think I have. A while back I disconnected the A/C system and bypassed the compressor because the bearings were bad on it. The system was, obviously, empty. Is it possible that the A/C cooler sitting infront of the Radiator is the cause of my overheating problem? It seemed as though when the fans kick in, the temp went higher before it went back down. I was thinking that the one infront of the radiator was collecting heat and storing it, then when the fans come on it was drawing that hot air through the radiator before cooling. I dunno if you catch what I am saying, but could that be right? I just pulled the rest of the A/C system from my car, so hopefully my problem has cured up. Input would be great! Thanks!

Old 06-18-2006, 10:24 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

and how do i get the air out?
According to Chrysler:
"Air can only be removed from the system by gathering under the pressure cap. On the next heat up it will be pushed past the pressure cap into the CRS tank by thermal expansion of the coolant. It then escapes to the atmosphere in the CRS tank and is replaced with solid coolant on cool down."
I was wondering about that for my truck, but, the manual for my truck says the same thing. I remember on my little old POS Civic, it has a little thing you unscrewed to allow air out.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:27 AM
das2123
Legend

NEONRT98, your radiator could be clogged or going bad.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:31 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

Hmm, not quite what I was wanting to hear. I took the A/C cooler off from infront of it today, and noticed on the radiator that some of the gills were sticking out, like 1 or 2, 2" lines of them toward the bottom in the middle. Is that early sign of such? And what do you suggest as a replacement radiator?

Old 06-19-2006, 03:41 AM
das2123
Legend

http://www.radiatorbarn.com/

Old 06-20-2006, 11:48 PM
notallhere
Rookie

Yep mine overheats too but only on hot days. I have the INDY intake and with that installed it sits so close to the right fan that theree is not alot of air moving past it. What i looking at is moving the radiator forward to give more clearance behind the fan, maybe taking the air conditioner out all together and relocating the radiator in front of the latch rail. Going to take some measurments and see what can be done there.

Just letting ya know it dont take much to restricked air flow and cause overheating

later

Quick Reply: now im overheating!!!