1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

dohc to sohc

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 04:23 PM
i6hate9this
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dohc to sohc

Ive been reading about everyone wanting to swap from a sohc to a dohc but i have a 98 dohc and just want to swap out the heads toa sohc.What all will I need and around how much horsepower will i have?

Old 06-19-2006, 08:35 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: dohc to sohc

The SOHC head or Magnum head (including cam, cam gear, valves, etc.), new head bolts, new head gasket, SOHC timing belt, SOHC intake and exhaust manifolds, remove the DOHC timing belt tensioner pulley from the block, and route the coolant temp sensor wiring around to the new location. The stock DOHC pistons should ve removed and the edges beveled near the top as there have been a good number of issues with the ring lands breaking with stock DOHC pistons and SOHC heads for some reason.

Compression is going to be ~10.3:1, so I would absloutely not run the stock cam in there. I'd recommend the Crane 0014 or the Zex/Comp Cams 400, which means upgrading the valve springs (stock magnum will do best, and cheap), and an aftermarket cam gear would be advised. You can use the stock '98 DOHC PCM, just keep in mind that the car is going to run a little richer at idle and WOT (not enough to fail emissions though). If you want the higher rev limit to make good use of the cam, the Mopar SOHC is good, although you can use the Mopar DOHC PCM as well for an even higher RPM.

With all that and no other mods (stock DOHC exhaust system, stock pulley, etc.), you're looking at maybe 160ish HP. A long header, true CAI, pulley, and better intake manifold might get you more in the 180ish HP range.

Why the swap to SOHC? The DOHC has much more potential...

Best of luck!

Old 06-21-2006, 01:54 PM
daedaerice

I dont know if im right but i think i read some where that the stock dodge neon dohc is running about 135hp i dont for shore dont qout me on this. but i have a question do u need a wireing harness if u are swaping a sohc to a dohc cause i have one laying around?

Old 06-21-2006, 03:12 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^You need to get your info correct:
SOHC = 132 HP
DOHC = 150 HP

Old 06-21-2006, 04:01 PM
daedaerice