1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

engine removal problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 04:05 PM
95SOHC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine removal problem

ok well...here's my problem..i was going to remove the engine out of 1 of my 95Neons..but the thing is that when i bought this car i originally bought it for parts for my other neon..anyways..so this car has no handbrake nor regular brakes..thus when i try to remove the driveaxle..i can't cuz it turns all the time....and yes i have tried doing like it says in the Haynes manual using a cro-bar to lock it in place but all that did was bend the screws for my tires/discs..any1 have any advice on how to do this?

Old 06-25-2006, 04:14 PM
rrwertz
Professional
Default RE: engine removal problem

Just the axles or the whole tranny?
For the axles, all you do is put a prybar between the tranny and the axle and hit it one time.
Maybe you mean the clutch bolts? Put the car in gear. Put it in neutral and turn the crank by hand.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:18 PM
tomthedog
Captain

discon lower ball joint at A-arm, then pop the 1/2shaft out of the trans like it says in the book. you will still have to raise the font of the car high enough to get the trans out of the bottom of the car as it won't fit through the top. good luck.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:19 PM
95SOHC

RRWERTZ: well i want to get the whole tranny out but to do so i need to disconnect the driveaxle..like i said i did use a pry-bar to lock the "wheels" in place(where they would be if they were on that is)..

Tomthedog: ok..thx..i'll try that!!

Old 06-25-2006, 05:32 PM
rrwertz
Professional

axles are a pain. you have to have a long bar and stick it under and into the frame and push down while pulling the axle out.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:26 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran

For keeping the axles still, I just used a monkey wrench. Worked great! haha

Sean

Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are trying to get the axels outta the trans, use a pry bar, then you can just pop them out.....if you are trying to get the big nut off the end in the hub assembly, put the spare tire back on the car, or if you have hub caps then put just the black steel rim back on the car....then set the car back on the ground...the weight of the car will help hold the wheel still while you crank on that nut

Old 06-26-2006, 08:48 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

its also nice to be able to get your hands on a good impact and buzz them right off, alot of times on chrystler trans. you gotta use a real long skinny punch or screwdriver of some kind of bar and hit the drivers side axle out through the hole where the pass. side axle came out of... its hard to get something in around the crosspin to do it tho, if you pulling just the motor you shouldnt need to take the axles or trans out.. unless you have a manual then you might have to pull the trans first

Old 06-26-2006, 10:19 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it helps to put the big nut back on the und of the shaft until the shaft is flush with the nut and hit it a few times with a hammer to dislodge it.....to get the shaft out once you have everything loose, disconnect the lower ball joint and seperate it from the spindle...then you can pull it all aside and pull out the end of the shaft

Old 06-26-2006, 05:48 PM
tomthedog
Captain

any luck yet?

Quick Reply: engine removal problem