1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Heat Shields

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:11 PM
NEONRT98
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Shields

Alright, so I have successfully (SOMEHOW) got all my CEL lights cleared and whatnot, so I figured I would work on my next annoyance: Exhaust leak.. I took off the heat shield at my exhaust manifold, and let me tell you that was FUN! Ha.. The heat shield is now beaten and battered and practically unusable now. I come to find out also that the car has either had an engine rebuild or the headgasket replaced because there are 3 bolts busted off inside the block/head, which is the cause of the exhaust leak..

Two questions:

1.) Is the heat shield at the exhaust manifold completely neccisary, seeing as I have practically destroyed my current one..

and

2.) Any suggestions on getting the busted off bolts out of the head/block? I beleive part of the bolt is sticking out of the block, so just the head of the bolt is broken off..

Any answers would be great!

Old 06-25-2006, 08:23 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heat Shields

the heat shield is not completely necessary, just there for sprotection.....i broke a few of the manifold bolts off in the head before, and since the head just broke off you should remove the manifold and then you should be able to grip the left over bolt with a pair of vise-grips

Quick Reply: Heat Shields