1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

A/C Sqeals

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 04:15 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A/C Sqeals

Is the belt clean? As in no oils or greases on it?

Could be a/c or p/s is not functioning properly and it straining the belt making it squeal as it rides over the pulley?

Justa thought!

Old 07-05-2006, 06:14 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

could be pimp, its nice and tight now though way tighter than before im suprised how tight I got it only using the rachet, one thought I had would be maybe it was to tight, if anything from your suggestions Id go with the power steering after driving other cars with PS then driving mine I noticed even though I have PS and its not hard to turn at all that it could be better, at least there isn't a noice when I turn on the A/C, not yet anyways, Im keeping my eye on the belt for fatigue, hopefully it holds up, I can deal with a squeal when I start it up just as long as the A/C is good and the P/S is good as well thanks for the advice everyone

Old 07-05-2006, 11:45 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FuzzRacer

The A/C doesnt sqeal at all when I turn it on but when I start the car sometimes it will, any Ideas?
Usually that indicates an alignment problem...either the crank pulley isn't all the way on or the power steering pump. Also, what brand of belts are you using? I have heard that some belts will squeal, because of the material (don't know how true this is though). Try Gatorback belts, high quality and price, but worth it.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:25 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

I forget what its called but its a blue package with white lettering , never heard of gatorback's But ill give those a try next, the alignment looks good for both belts but I'll do a double check just to make sure, if alignment is the prob then hopefully it's the crank pulley and not my P/S I made sure that bad boy was on good, when I removed the underdrive plastic protector there was a lot of shavings from when the P/S wasn't on good like a third of my belt had been reduced. for now I guess i just have to see how it goes Ill keep checking for fatigue and slipage and stuff, thanks for the advice

Quick Reply: A/C Sqeals