1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Ram Air on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 11:15 PM
IGottaFreeNeon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Air on eBay

I was looking on eBay and saw this ram air set-up. It bolts in the place of the headlight. Seems like a cool idea if you don't need headlights. Thought it looked cool and that you guys might like to take a look. That's all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 07-05-2006, 12:02 AM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran
Default RE: Ram Air on eBay

only problem with it is there is no air filter. So all the crap that is flying around is gonna get sucked right up through the TB and into the motor.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:35 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

It's not really a cold air unit, just a modified stock headlight unit. There's no attachment from it to the TB. I'm sure the theory is to get colder air into the engine bay.

First, it would not get air to an Iceman. It really wouldn't get much air to a ghetto/AEM/Kirk/Rage unit (take a good look behind your headlight sometime, folks). It would get no extra air to a stock unit.

1 second off the quarter mile time is an outright lie. Well, maybe it's just sheer stupidity. Either way, it's not possible.

It's much easier (and more important) to get hot air out of the engine compartment than to get cold air in. Cute idea. I'm sure it will impress the bling crowd and look great with a set of 18's. But it's worthless as a performance mod.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:52 AM
jdog08
Rookie

ORIGINAL: RadarLove

It's not really a cold air unit, just a modified stock headlight unit. There's no attachment from it to the TB. I'm sure the theory is to get colder air into the engine bay.

First, it would not get air to an Iceman. It really wouldn't get much air to a ghetto/AEM/Kirk/Rage unit (take a good look behind your headlight sometime, folks). It would get no extra air to a stock unit.

1 second off the quarter mile time is an outright lie. Well, maybe it's just sheer stupidity. Either way, it's not possible.

It's much easier (and more important) to get hot air out of the engine compartment than to get cold air in. Cute idea. I'm sure it will impress the bling crowd and look great with a set of 18's. But it's worthless as a performance mod.
he didnt say anything about using it with a CAI like the iceman he said to hook a tube up to the throttle body from it so it would give you some gains on the quarter mile thats until you get a some big piece of **** in your engine

Old 07-05-2006, 11:55 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jdog08
he didnt say anything about using it with a CAI like the iceman he said to hook a tube up to the throttle body from it so it would give you some gains on the quarter mile thats until you get a some big piece of **** in your engine
But in order to shave a second off a 1/4 mile, it would have to feed air directly to the air filter. I'd like to see either 1)a dyno sheet or 2)a time slip.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:17 PM
jdog08
Rookie

if you read it all it does feed the air directly to the TB it bypasses the filter

Old 07-05-2006, 01:32 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jdog08

if you read it all it does feed the air directly to the TB it bypasses the filter
Unfiltered air into my engine???? No way!!! Like I said, I want either of the two above.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:38 PM
5.0LTREATER
Rookie

Das you are correct, it is unfiltered air into the engine. Take a look at the big turbos sticking out of the hoods on the NDRA cars. No air filter. Running a filter is personal preference. Would I do it on a street driven car? Absolutely not.
Do I use a ram air system at the track with no filter, Hell yes!
If you hook a boost meter to it, you will notice that when you hit about 40-50 MPH the boost will read about 1lb. and it increases as you get faster. The idea is to feed the engine more air than it can possibly flow normally, so you will eventually be forcing (ramming) air into the engine. It also keeps the charge air colder than even the iceman. The tube is about 14" long max. so the air spends less time in the hot engine bay. It is pretty much the same temp as the ambient teperature when it reaches the TB.
I can see it taking a second off a quarter mile time, I lost 4 tenths in the eighth using the same type system. This one is better looking than mine.

Quick Reply: Ram Air on eBay