1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Neon power problems (electrical)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 07:33 AM
darianlow
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon power problems (electrical)

So I jumped in my car and I go to start it and it wont crank, all the accessories work but the starter wont crank. I Turn it off and go to crank it over again and bam it fires and runs fine. Then just recently I go to start my car and after running great just 1 hour before the battary is dead, what could be drawing so much power at off that it kills my battary? or what else could it be?

Old 07-16-2006, 10:18 AM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: Neon power problems (electrical)

might be dealing with one of many problems. first check with a multi meter to see if it's your batt or your charging system. when running you should see about 13+ volts on the battery, this means your alt is working. if you have low volts check the wiring between the battery and alt. might be shorted or have a blown fuseable link that sometimes still works (the last happened to friend of mine). if all that is ok the only thing left is the starter. were the brushes make contact on the motor are the spot that normally go bad. the motor going out gives the same problem as a bad batt/charging system. if the motor stops on the bad spot it won't want to start. start looking for slopes to park on untill you get the car fixed. hope this helps, good luck.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:27 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

Also, check your connections at your starter, make sure they are not corroded or anything. Its possible that something shorted in your starter and it drained the battery. I am dealing with starter problems myself, at the moment. I had taken mine off, cracked it open and cleaned everything inside.. and well.. I think it about time for a new starter, I am going to start backing into parking spots just in case, though! Haha, I love manuals...

Old 07-16-2006, 03:37 PM
darianlow
Rookie

Thanks guys, Im goign to check it right now to see if its dead, where abouts is the fusabe link wire?

Old 07-16-2006, 03:41 PM
darianlow
Rookie

Also when the car is running, my battary/alternator light never comes on.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:56 PM
darianlow
Rookie

So I hooked up my charger and tried to crank it over and it sounded like an impact gun on tight lug nuts.

Old 07-16-2006, 06:51 PM
darianlow
Rookie

So I went to canadian tire to get the battary tested, long strry short not even 5 minutes agter he came back and said it was at 12 volts but way under amps making it seem like 1 - several cells were toast. So I bought a new battary and it works great, shortly my friend is comming up with a digital multimeter and we are goign to check the alternator to make sure its charging. If not, back to lordco to get a new one.

Quick Reply: Neon power problems (electrical)