1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Turbo 2 or 3 on 1997 DOHC

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:41 AM
needMOmoney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 2 or 3 on 1997 DOHC

Basically I did a search already and found lots of the same repeating information being tossed around.
There are 2 turbo kits to buy CF and Hahn. <----- I DONT CARE ABOUT THOSE

Does anyone know if the exhaust manifold, turbo, etc. from the early turbo dodges (spirit, new yorker, acclaim, etc) bolt straight up on a 1997 2.0 DOHC dodge neon? Has any one tried.
I know the early turbo dodges were 2.2L , I think the R/T was 2.0 with the Turbo3 system.
I didn't search for this but, does anyone know if the "high torque" trannies bolt up on the DOHC?

Just a simple yes and no and a site for reference.
I dont want ,"thats a stupid idea" or "i dont think it will work"

Old 07-19-2006, 09:33 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Turbo 2 or 3 on 1997 DOHC

Simple answer - no, to both. You can hunt around www.allpar.com and Wikipedia (at your own risk, there's a LOT of bad info there).

The intake and exhaust ports are spaced differently, so a 2.2/2.5L manifold will not fit on a 2.0/2.4L head. The bore spacing is the same, and most of the oil and water passages are pretty close, so there's the option of using a 2.2/2.5L head on the 2.0L block after a little time at the machine shop, but then you're down to 2 valves per cylinder and a much worse flowing head in general... You could find someone to make up an adapter plate, but in the end, it's not really worth it. Ther are much better turbos available now, and just having a shop weld a flange onto your stock exhaust manifold would be a good start, although there are some nice turbo manifolds out there for under $350.

The neon's auto tranny is the 31TH, which is a strengthened version of the A413 that was used on the 2.2/2.5L K-cars, so backtracking would not be a step up. The New Venture T-350 5-speed in the neon is different enough from the A520/523/525/568 to make a direct swap not really possible. It has been done, but I remember it taking some frankenstein work all the way down to the clutch pedal which had to be cut and welded with parts from both cars. The neon's 5-speed is handling 450+ ft-lbs torque on daily drivers, I don't really see the need for anything else. The clutch would have to be upgraded, of course. And the real weak link is the differential, which can be replaced with a limited slip for $500 or so nowadays.

Best of luck!

Old 07-22-2006, 03:14 AM
Jellysrus
Rookie

is it a good idea to turbo a sohc 98 neon with 138 thousand miles if so what hahn kit and intercooler?? or no i plan on running about 4 or 5 pounds they say that you can run seven on the stock motor so i figured it being a every day driver that woulld be about right or less[X(]

Old 07-22-2006, 10:46 AM
neon.ace

with getting an aftermarket turbo kit you really should not install an exhaust manifold from another car's stock parts. Get an aftermarket header. You will be much happier and it would be more adaptable to upgrades

Quick Reply: Turbo 2 or 3 on 1997 DOHC