1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Transmissons

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 03:16 AM
campbellracing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmissons

I was wondering if a 95 manual transmisson out of a SOHC car would work in a 96 Neon DOHC car im not sure if they are interchangeable or not

Old 07-19-2006, 03:22 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: Transmissons

as long as the dohc is manual as well, a lot of the neon parts are interchangable even other car parts will work for example there is a dodge van that uses the same tranny as the neon, im not sure which one it is though

Old 07-19-2006, 03:26 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FuzzRacer

...dodge van that uses the same tranny as the neon, im not sure which one it is though
I think the van was the old (90s and maybe 80s) (Grand) Caravans and such... and i also think the Dodge Omni had the same 3-speed not sure though

Old 07-19-2006, 03:42 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

I think it was the caravan I can't remember where I got that info it was a while ago lol something about the tranny number with them thanks, I didn't know the omni was a possible match.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:58 AM
gutted
Veteran

You guys are talking automatics though.

Yeah, the transmissions you are talking about can be interchanged (to the original poster)

Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 AM
spudsterier
Legend

as for the autos that were being pondered....the neons use the same automatic trans that was used in the late 80's and early 90's dodge turbo cars

but as already said, the 5 speeds will work......i used to have to put a new trans in my old r/t neon dohc manual about every 3 months.....1 was from a 95 sohc...another from a 97 sohc...and another out of a 99 dohc r/t

Old 07-19-2006, 04:17 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

why so often, where they just in bad shape or did you just run them hard? I was told by more then one person that the neons auto tranny was like gold and hard to mess up, how true is that?

Old 07-19-2006, 04:27 PM
spudsterier
Legend

well i drove my car very hard for a long time...the first trans went out when doing a bad as burnout....afterwards i couldnt select 1st gear and it wouldnt stay in second.....then 2nd trans went out on my way back from the carlisle show a few years ago...it blew 3holes the size of your fist in the caseing....but that was also doing 110 mph the whole way there and on the way back.....it stranded me and my buddy about 500 miles from home with only $100.00.......the other i changed because it had over 200,000 miles on it and i found an r/t trans.....

the manual neon trans is supposedly "bullet proof" with the way its geared it is almost impossible to destroy...being that you cant brake torque...cant spin the tires from a dead stop...and you can drive the hell outta it......now all this only implies to the car being stock...like every car, the more supped up the motor gets, the more unreliable it becomes and harder for the trans.....the only ways to ruin it is to run it low on fluid or neutral drops....but that isnt good on any trans

Old 07-19-2006, 05:49 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

lol I see that kinda stuff can cause the tranny go out on ya, im hoping mine isn't going out, because mine started after I was at a red light and I peeled out, Couldn't peel out before I had my car's head gasket job done,a long with the stuff I had him put on while he was at it Im thinking maybe I had a little bit to much fun but I had the mechanic drive it and he said not yet so I have to take it easy till next tuesday.

Quick Reply: Transmissons