1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

A/C Problem....Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 05:49 PM
95NeonBase
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Problem....Help!

95 Neon, SOHC, Base model.

Ok, the temp. here is hitting around 103. REAL HOT! Heres the problem! I Need AC that works!! [:@]

My AC is full with R134a. (I tested it with gages)
My Compressor turns on.
No leaks.

Heres the problem....My AC still blows out hot/warm air! I dont know what to do. I dont have the money now to go to a mechanic.

Any help on why my AC still blows warm air even though it's full with refrigerant and the compressor works....!!

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:03 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran
Default RE: A/C Problem....Help!

If you are SURE you have the proper pressures - both high and low sides....
I would investigate the blend door not being in the right position.
I am sure yours operates via cable attached to the **** on your control unit - possibly the cable is unhooked, or out of adjustment.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:06 PM
95NeonBase

When you say Blend Door? Is that the door you hear open and close when you move the climate control to "Recirc" and "Fresh Air"???

Which position should the **** be in for the AC? "Fresh Air" "Fresh Air/Recirc" or "Recirc" ???

Old 07-21-2006, 01:43 PM
tomthedog
Captain

the heater core (it makes the air hot) and the evap core (it makes air cold) are right next to each other, but two diff't systems. the eng coolant is always going through the heater core (how the air gets hot). the **** that has the blue and red controls the air flow goes over the heater core or the evap core.

my guess is the cable, or where the cable hooks up to the ****/blend door broke (it changes air flow form the heater/evap core). hope this helps. let us know the deal, good luck.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:54 PM
muhl5443
Rookie

my guess is that your evaporator core is bad.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:41 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

I was talking about the same thing as Tom.

An easy test is slam your **** from one end to the other quickly.
You should be able to hear the door make a quiet "thump" under the passenger dash.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:25 AM
95NeonBase

I noticed whenever I put the "AC" on, I smell sweet coolant. I've always smelled antifreeze whenever I have my AC, Defrost, or heater on.....Oh, and recently, It rained for about a week straight, and all this "clean" water came dripping in the passenger floorwell.....

^You think that has something to do with the AC performance?^

Old 07-22-2006, 01:41 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

Sounds like the sweet smell could be your heater core going bad.. notice any overheating? If not, you may soon! As for the water on the floor, are you sure it was clear? Take your fingers and rub it on the carpet where the water is standing, could be that the antifreeze is absorbed into the carpet and it appears clean.. That, or you have a bad seal on your door..

As for your A/C, check your relays.. It could be that your A/C relay is not operating properly, thus not telling the compressor clutch to kick in.. The relays are under the hood behind the battery.. The best way to test it is to switch the suspected relay with a relay you know works, they are all the same.. I suggest the horn if it works! Put the questionable relay into that slot and see if the horn works. If it does, its probably not the relay, but dont rule it out yet. You should invest in a Haynes manual, it will instruct you on how to test a relay with a multimeter, plus its a great investment!!

Hope this helps!!

Josh

Old 07-23-2006, 01:43 AM
95NeonBase

My compressor clutch DOES kick in. I do have a Haynes repair manual, it dosen't tell you much when your AC blows hot air, except how to recharge it and stuff. Yes, the liquid dripping onto the passenger footwell WAS clear, It was not antifreeze. No, my car dose not overheat. All the relays and fuses are fine.

I give up on AC.....

Old 07-23-2006, 03:21 AM
ewetho
All Star

Check you lines under the hood and see if one is cold and the other is hot. If one is real cold and the other is hot then you have a functioning system but the doors that control airflow through your air handling system in your dash is not functioning properly. May be directing all the air to the warm side or just not letting it go through the cold section where you evaporator is. Thus no cold air. If your pressures are truly OK and you have no air in the system you should have cold being produced.