1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

97 sohc problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 AM
MyDarkestSin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 sohc problem

I'm trying to fix a friends neon and ran it through my works computer. The error code is reading ENG: 51/p0171 fuel sys 1/1 lean I was wondering if anyone else had this problem so I could quickly diagnos it. I'm guessing it's a bad injector but it's not even running funny beside a little miss when you only lightly push on the throttle. Any help would be appreciated guys, thank you.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:55 AM
MyDarkestSin
Default RE: 97 sohc problem

also he leaks oil like crazy I was just going to start replacing gaskets but I believe I remember someone saying about a common oil leak in the neons. It is coming from the back of the motor and it's not coming from the oil pan. Any help guys?

Old 07-21-2006, 01:17 AM
darianlow
Rookie

Mine leaked oil like mad...then I changed the cam position sensor seal, and bam I dont have fresh oil spots on my driveway. So check that and it was only a $6 canadian part.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:24 AM
MyDarkestSin

How hard was that to change???

Old 07-21-2006, 01:43 AM
darianlow
Rookie

Took me 1/2 hour and its not very hard, more like you need small asian hands to get at it. Undoing the bolts was awkward but none of it was really hard.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:45 AM
neon.ace

Sounds like you might have slightly clogged injectors. That would lean the mixture out. Use some good injector cleaner and see what that does. If that does nothing than remove the rail and visually check the injector face. Is the oil that leaks fresh? Neon head gaskets are also known to need replacement sooner than other cars. Well come to think of it head gasket would not leak oil "like crazy". Keep us up to date on the progress.

peace and quail grease

Old 07-24-2006, 12:07 AM
MyDarkestSin

First of all, thanks for the reply man. I went ahead and replaced his valve cover gasket as I did with mine and fixed the problem with the oil leaking on the plugs. I recently noticed it only leaks oil while the engine is running but leaks very fast! As for the injectors I will run some Sea Foam through it and see what happens. Other than that picking up another rail wouldn't hurt? I just don't want to dump money into the injectors themselves just to fix this for him. He has a new family and still wouldn't charge him labor but injectors are still pretty expensive. Either way i'll let you know if the Seaq Foam works. I un-hooked the battery for 20 seconds and the check engine light hasn't come back on since. The throttle issue is happening again so any suggestions with that? it only happens when you push the throttle very gently and it has what some would say is a miss or maybe a hesitation. It sputters and jerks so i'm not sure if that has to do with that lean code or not. Again guys thanks for all the help so far, you've been the most help for me!

John.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:11 AM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran

the oil leak is usually the main seal

Old 07-24-2006, 04:35 AM
MyDarkestSin

I'll check that out tomorrow. Also, glad to see someone who appreciates old Fear Factory.

Quick Reply: 97 sohc problem